 Technic / 11368
Re: New robots and other goodies
Newsgroups:
lugnet.technic
Date:
Wed, 8 Oct 2003 20:49:17 GMT

In lugnet.technic, Tobbe Arnesson wrote:
In lugnet.technic, Rob Stehlik wrote:
Hi Everyone,

Hi Rob,

Hm, since I can't recall seeing your site before I can't judge the improvements,

My site has been up for about three years, but I guess it is more Robot oriented
then Technic. You should lurk in rtl more often!

but I do like the site as-is. I have some grudge against using Java on pages for
simpler things but I approve on yours.

Thats good. I haven't used rollover buttons before and I think they add a nice
touch. Mine could probably be a bit more subtle though :)

Very interesting, that's a mega backhoe as far as LEGO go. And one that can dig
non the less! Congratulations to the victory!

Thanks. While building, I was having a terrible time with the hopper. Processing
standard 2x4 bricks is a pain because they are shorter then they are wide, and
the bumps and hollow bottoms love to catch on things. So I thought the quality
of the sorting mechanism would be the deciding factor between the robots. But it
turned out digging through the rice and extracting blocks was the most difficult
thing to do.

I like the idea pages, the Torsen diff is a tad above my comprehension at the
moment, but it does sound interesting. Think I have to build one just so I can
figure out how it works :)

Thats why I built it :) I couldn't wrap my head around the way the gearing works
as a differential until I built the model.

-A video of the latest version of the Window Walker which now carries its own
vacuum pump.

Yikes.

Did you like the squeaking?

-Lots more info on my firefighting robot, including a video.

Wow! Is that fast or what?

Really? The blue version of the robot was much faster. Not as precise though.

Good thing you managed to fight your own fire before
you got burned out on LEGO! Sometimes "brake a leg" really is a good thing :)

LOL!

I like all your robots and I'm planning to build a Turtle of my own if time
permits. Hosting a LUG-fest here in Sweden soon and it would be cool to have it
print out "SweLUG" by then. I saw from the rtlToronto demo reel you had it spell
"RTL9". It might make a good catalyst to get my fellow AFOL's into robotics :)

Cool. Turtles are fun to watch. Unfortunately the accuracy drops pretty quickly
when writing longer words. My "RTL 9" code was pretty hack as you can see, but I
think it wouldn't be too hard to improve it. "SweLUG" would be quite the test
for the turtle!

It's also good to finally get a better look at some of the rtl bot's!

Thanks.

Sorry for the late reply but I wanted to investigate your whole site before
replying and with that much excellent text it did take a while of more off then
on browsing...

I'm glad you enjoyed it. About the server errors, I will talk to Dave about it.
I really can't compain much because I'm not paying a cent...

Rob