 Technic / 11323
Re: South Pointing Chariot ca.2003
Newsgroups:
lugnet.technic
Date:
Wed, 1 Oct 2003 03:12:07 GMT

Hao-yang Wang wrote:

http://www.fifth-r.com/openhouse/spchariot.htm

This was one of the first things I built when I got my RIS. Naively I tweaked
and tweaked my contraption, trying to make it into a reliable navigation
mechanism for my robot. :-)

Granted it's not foolproof, it only gives a relative heading. You'll
easily be pointed the wrong direction if the wheels slip or loose
contact with the ground. Nowadays we would be better off to use a
compass sensor or GPS which gives an absolute heading.

Since then I have stopped believing in the utility of the South Pointing Chariot
in the battle field, as stated by some historians.

Well, the particular Yellow Emperor, Huang Di, is reputed to have fought
and won many great battles with the contraption so it must have worked
some if not most of the time for him. There's even a tale that the enemy
once set up a thick smoke screen (actually fog) but the SPC helped the
Emperor's men to find their way.

I guess in a few thouand years' time, people will question whether the
LUGNET community ever existed and all those wonderfual MOCs had actually
been built. All our postings would likely have been wiped out by some
virus or other by then. ;-)

--
C S Soh
http://www.ozbricks.net/cssoh1