 Technic / 11274
Re: RC buggies
Newsgroups:
lugnet.technic
Date:
Wed, 17 Sep 2003 14:29:31 GMT

In lugnet.technic, William Howard wrote:
In lugnet.technic, Jennifer Clark wrote:
There appear to be two RC vehicles available at the moment, the "RC Race
Buggy" (8475) and the "Supersonic RC" (8366). I assume both have the same
electronics and motors, but 8366 has not made it onto peeron yet so I can't
verify this. Can anyone else? I'd like to get the best one of those and
don't want to make an expensive mistake!

Jennifer

I have the (older) RC Race Buggy (8475) and was playing with the Supersonic RC
(8366) in the Kingston Lego shop this weekend.  As far as I could tell the RC
components and motors are identical (although I didn't take the shop display
model appart to confirm this!)

Given the small number of parts in each set you are basically paying for the RC
unit and wheels - so I'd go for the cheapest.  Shame Argos no longer stock the
RC Buggy as I picked mine up at half price

I can confirm this, since I have the 8475, and I've also examined the 8366 in
person. The motors, R/C receiver and transmitter are identical.
The 8475 has four wheel independent suspension, and uses some specialized front
suspension components (designed to fall apart upon impact). It also includes two
sets of tires:  68.8 diameter off-road tires, and 56 diameter slicks.

The 8366 has no suspension, is a larger vehicle, has more pieces (new studless
beams), and features new larger diameter slicks (don't remember the diameter,
but it's around 68mm).  Given that the 8366 has larger tires than the 8475, and
that (I believe) they're driven by the faster motor outputs (1700 RPM vs 1200),
it is a faster vehicle - both in speed and in ability to drain batteries :)

Hope this helps !

John