 Technic / 11146
11145  |  11147
Subject:
A pneumatic switch with no pneumatics!
Newsgroups:
lugnet.technic
Date:
Tue, 19 Aug 2003 03:59:12 GMT

In lugnet.technic, Ross Crawford wrote:
In lugnet.technic, Tobbe Arnesson wrote:
what about unconnected pneumatic switch?

Go to the page mentioned in the text, select all text so you actually can read
it (green on such a messy background does not make it easy otherwise) and you'll
find:

"Also, the pneumatic switch mentioned earlier is actually used as a sort of
locking mechanism for the top!"

Seems like an odd building technique if you ask me :)

Actually I thought this was a very interesting, unique use for these pieces (at
least I've never seen them used like this before!)

Maybe we should have a "parts used in unique, unintended ways" competition 8?)

Okay, I'll give everyone a bit more of new information here. The pneumatic
switch actually serves two purposes: One as a switch, two as a shuffling catlyst
one might say. The cards need to have some additional pressure applied to them
to be shuffled by the shuffling mechanisms. To accomplish this, the switch is
manually applied by "switching" it to the right. This applies the neccesary
pressure for shuffling the cards. The switch then ends up all the way to the
right in the desired locking position. Now how many uses can everyone find for a
pneumatic switch?;) As I thought of it when building the robot..."Hey! If it
works, why not use it?". Although it doesn't use pneumatics like it was made to
be, it works great!

David J. Perdue
www.geocities.com/imroboguy