 Technic / 11143
Re: CardShark: A Shuffling and Dealing Creation!--More Info
Newsgroups:
lugnet.technic
Date:
Mon, 18 Aug 2003 20:51:39 GMT
Highlighted:
(details)

Hello again!

This message is in response to the multiple questions (from multiple people) I
have gotten regarding my recent MINDSTORMS project: CardShark. I am sorry for
the bit of a delay in getting back to everyone. I have been real busy lately.
Okay, before I get into answers for all the questions, I have more links now to
look at since I have been adding CardShark to more places. The first is the
actual page of CardShark. In the last post I didn’t have a click-able link-I’ll
just change that!

http://www.geocities.com/imroboguy/CardShark.html

Here is the BrickShelf Photo Gallery:

Here is the MOC page:

http://www.mocpages.com/moc.php/1556

And here is CardShark on the official MINDSTORMS website:

http://mindstorms.lego.com/eng/inventions/invention.asp?id={9A14CD69-5FA5-B96A-92ED-C3F34E8C05B0}&slotN=3

Now time for questions. I'll try and answer all these questions (from everyone)
the best I can.

How about the basic idea how it works (shuffling, separating cards, ...)?

A little bit of explanation is needed here. Something came up (another big Lego
related project) and I had to take CardShark apart soon after completion! This
means almost no documentation. I really wanted to create it in CAD (my idea of
documentation) and make building instructions and post it on the BIPortal.
Unfortunately I couldn't (sorry Jake McKee!). I intend to come back though and
rebuild CardShark, and then really document it well. At that point, I will start
showing everyone how it really works.

Also, how fast is it? How do you communicate the numbers of players and how
many cards?

CardShark is designed to play a specific card game known as Euchre. The deck for
Euchre has anything below an eight removed. CardShark is specially designed to
accommodate this game and my original intention was to use it to shuffle and
deal the cards when we I was playing Euchre with my family. The robot has a
decent overall speed, but naturally isn’t as fast as a human. The number of
players is predetermined (4) and the robot goes to each of the players once and
deals them one “spit-out” of cards (about 3). The real count is five, but
getting that number can be difficult.

Where do the cards come in?

At the very top. The top has hinges and can be moved up and down easily. The
human is responsible for putting the cards in.

How reliable is it?

Pretty reliable. Sometimes cards will get stuck, and sometimes it won't shuffle
just perfect. Overall though, I am very pleased.

How does it shuffle, how much random is there?

Shuffling is part of the information I will re-release. There is no random. The
game of Euchre is “programmed in” and it does only what it is supposed to.

How often does the card end up up-side down (or up-side up depending on how you
want to say it)? It looks like they're flying from quite some heigt.

It almost never lands the wrong way. The weight of the sub-assembly keeps it
drooping at the end and the cards actually aren't all that high (it actually
just looks like it in the picture).

Any chance of a video of it actually running?

Sorry. Don't have one. I would like to make movies of my robots but currently
don't have the equipment.

Looks cool!

Thanks!

I like it. Is there any chance you’d provide some instructions or have a
parts list? With a project that big it probably isn’t worth the trouble to
do that, though.

There are currently neither (in the future there will be hopefully).

How about the code for the program it’s running?

I programmed both RCXs in NQC. I will also have code for view and/or download
after the re-release.

what about unconnected pneumatic switch?

The switch is indeed used as a switch-a locking one. I can flip it one way to
lock it (that way the top won't open) and then flip it the other way to let the
top open up.

That's all for now!

David J. Perdue
AKA "IMRoboGuy"