 Technic / 11030
Re: Cranespotting
Newsgroups:
lugnet.technic
Date:
Fri, 1 Aug 2003 09:04:51 GMT

"Dennis Bosman" <dennisbosman@hotmail.com> wrote in message

Well, it was just a thought, but now I realize it's not possible for you • to
travel with it. Or you have to keep one of your other models at home ;-)

It may yet be possible to travel with it - Thinking about it logically, the
model wouldn't be much taller or wider so it should still fit in the
overhead luggage compartments on the aircraft, my only concern is that one
of the stewards would deem it too large and consign it to the hold. So far
I've found them to be ok about packages, as long as you seem to be managing
them and not getting in the way, so it might be ok.

Well, recently I saw on TV a few shots of the movie. I saw a lot • comparisons to
the 2nd Terminator movie. OK, I've never seen stunts with a telescopic • crane
befor. Stunts with fire trucks is not unusual, as well as trucks etc. So • now
I've seen enough of the movie :-)

Ok that's my part of the mail over, here's some food for thought from Rosco
on the subject:

I can't post to Lugnet at the moment, as I recently changed my
email, and the posting confirmation hasnt arrived yet :(

But I managed to get hold of a pirate copy of T3, and after careful
study last night, drew the following conclusions:

1. It is almost certainly a DEMAG AC120. All reference to DEMAG
has been carefully removed, so I guess they didn't think it was
worth the exposure to trash one of their cranes (or did they?
see below). They even added extra plating to the front lower
section of the cab, so it doesn't have the well-known inverse-sloping
shape, but the front of the cab gives it away as definitely a
DEMAG. The only livery is of "Champion Cranes" which may be fictional,
or may be related to this http://www.kftv.com/company.asp?ck=7569&pn=1780

2. There are a few deviations from reality ;)
a) It is able to keep up with a car chase, probably unrealistic
as I think their top speed is around 80km/h.
b) She is able to control crane functions (slew, hoist) from
the front cab via levers - I dont think any DEMAG mobile cranes
offer this functionality.
c) Sequencing - while driving along the road with the boom out
the side, the out-riggers are extended. At a later point, when
the crane gets up on 5 wheels, it's difficult to see, but looks
like they're retracted.
d) In the big trash scene, there's a couple of things that make
me think they're actually using a model:
i) Looking at the sensor equipment on the boom, it looks slightly
different in this last scene;
ii) As the rear lifts off the ground, a wheel falls off, which
I imagine would be pretty rare for these.
Of course, they may have rigged the wheel to fall off, and I
may be mistaken with the sensor equipment ;)

Nevertheless, it is a fun chase, and like you said, it's highly
unusual to see a crane in that situation :) And I'd suggest even
if the actual crane wasn't trashed, it probably still sustained
substantial damage....

ROSCO

PS: You can post this to Lugnet if you like
PPS: You can tell Dennis there's a fire truck in the chase too
;)