 Technic / 10970
Re: 8455 New Technic Backhoe
Newsgroups:
lugnet.technic
Date:
Sun, 20 Jul 2003 22:12:17 GMT

In lugnet.technic, Bob Gomez wrote:
Just built the new backhoe loader set and I have to say I think it’s very cool.
The set uses strictly all the new studless beams and friction peg connect
construction methods.  It has 10 new pistons and as has been detailed here on
Lugnet features new designs/ colors for cylinders, valves and pumps.  The set
also has what seems to be a new tire size and a few parts I haven’t seen before.

Compared side by side to the old backhoe it stands up nice offering a more
realistic look as well as being a bit smaller.  I still like the old one.

The model is nice and complicated for a modern technic set and shows to me
clearly that Lego has not given up on the Technic line.

What has amazed me is that no one has posted on this yet.  I would think that a
major technic set coming out would generate some chatter.

If you have not seen it yet take a close look and it might get you excited about
technic again like it did for me.

Bob Gomez
member 905

I acquired this set last weekend and started putting it together while attending
the WAMALUG meeting. I was joking with the WAMALUG folks that the box should
warn you that tools are required for assembly. (I was stuck with no way to chop
up the supplied lengths of hose until Christina offered me the use of her office
scissors!)

I think its a fantastic set and a fantastic model. I really appreciate the
"tutoring" we get whenever TLC puts out a "new Technic" model which uses
primarily studless beams. I don't think that studless beam construction is quite
as intuitive as the older studded style beam building, but the positive
interlocking required to hold studless beam models together makes them a lot
less likely to spontaneous collapse.

I don't think that the new style cylinders make much of a difference at a
function level but they do look a lot better on a model than the older square
based ones. The new pneumatic controls are a real improvement however. The
replacement of the studs by technic style "rings" makes mounting a lot more
compact.

The real downside of this model is that it is so good that it's going to have to
stay together and go on one of my display shelves - which means I don't get to
use the parts which means I am going to have to buy another one ;)

JB