 Technic / 10916
Re: Pneumatic hose color usage
Newsgroups:
lugnet.technic
Date:
Sun, 6 Jul 2003 03:24:56 GMT

In lugnet.technic, Kevin L. Clague wrote:
In one of the LEGO pneumatic basic sets, you get a light grey hose, a black hose
and a blue hose.  I used the blue hose to get from the pump to the switch, the
black hose on the contract port of the piston (to match the black cap that is
there), and the light grey on the expand port of the piston.

Since this was my first experience with LEGO pneumatics I assume that was a
standard color scheme.  Anyone know why the black hose is longer than the light
grey hose?

In the 8455, there is a very long black hose and a much shorter light grey hose.
You cut these hoses up to the lengths specificed in instruction manual.
Throughout the assembly of the 8455, the same color hose is used at both ends of
a given piston.  It would seem that normally, the light grey == expand, and
black == contract color scheme is not used.

I've only looked at the 8455's hose usages.... Anyone know the motivations
behind LEGO's use of two hose colors?

   I have 2 different sets with pneumatics.  The first is 5218 which has 3 hose
colors (blue, light grey, black) and uses them like the basic set you describe.
The other set is 8250/8299 and has only 2 hose colors: light grey from the pump
to tank to switch, and blue from the switch to both piston ports.  The
pnuematics sets in the 2003 PITSCO catalog have the 3 hose colors and in the
models in the ads show the black and grey hoses reversed from your description
with black to expansion and grey to contraction.

  So, I don't think there is any coordinated use of hose colors by LEGO.
Interestingly, though, is that the alternate models in 5218 and 8250/8299 all
keep the same hose color usages as in the main model for the set.

Brian