 Technic / 10743
Re: #7 axles
Newsgroups:
lugnet.technic, lugnet.org.ca.rtltoronto
Date:
Wed, 18 Jun 2003 02:38:36 GMT

In lugnet.technic, Eric Shrader wrote:
"Kevin L. Clague" wrote:
In lugnet.technic, David Laswell wrote:
In lugnet.technic, Kevin L. Clague wrote:
Ever wanted #7 axles?  8455 has them.  I've never seen them before.

They can also be found in 8354 Exo Force Bike (1x light-grey), 8355 H.O.T.
Blaster Bike (1x light-grey), 4483 Imperial AT-AT (1x light-grey), and 7417
Temple of Mount Everest (1x light-grey).  I don't know what they're used for in
the AT-AT and Temple sets, but they're used as handlebars for the two Racers
motorcycles.  So, the big question is, what color are they in 8455?  I'm hoping
black.

Light grey.  Sorry.

Kevin

Kevin,

My 8455 is in transit, but I was curious:  does it include any black
odd-length axles?  I've noticed that, in recent sets, Lego has been making
all the 3, 5, and 7 axles in light grey.  Further "juniorization", I
suspect.

Thanks,

Eric

Don't forget the 8453 Technic Slammer Rhino (one gray 7-axle).
<http://guide.lugnet.com/set/8353>
The new 'mini' technic sets, 8451 and 8453 also follow
the trend of odd axle length in grey, even lengths in black.
<http://guide.lugnet.com/set/8451>
<http://guide.lugnet.com/set/8453>

Also note how the axle pins are now in tan in most new sets
(used to be in grey) <http://www.peeron.com/inv/parts/3749>.
The friction variation of these axle pins seems to be appearing
in blue nowadays (last year it was introduced mainly in black, but
also in white) <http://www.peeron.com/inv/parts/43093>

I'm not crazy about this juniorization, however, it will make pins
and axles easier to distinguish by kids.  Let's remember that a lot
of these sets are "starter" technic sets, for kids aged 8 and up.
When I started collecting technic, there were NO odd-length axles,
and only two types of pins; axle pins and normal pins, both non-friction.
So looking for parts was easier than it is today: let's face it, even
for us veteran builders, it IS easier to find and distinguish between
the 6 different types of pins now available.

Having said that, the tan and blue do get annoying, especially in these
yellow/black/grey construction vehicles (8451, 8453, 8455).
But if this approach does make it easier for kids (and their parents)
to start and keep buying LEGO, then we all win, don't we?

I guess this turned into a small rant.... oops.

John