 Technic / 1066
1065  |  1067
Subject:
Two-Legged Walker
Newsgroups:
lugnet.technic
Date:
Mon, 14 Feb 2000 14:43:44 GMT

I just posted a picture of this past weekend's project - a two-legged walker
that I call "Craniac".  Unfortunately, it went on a rampage shortly after I
finished building it and terrorized all of my minifigs!

This creature uses a single old-style motor through a worm gear to crank both
legs to get a walking motion like what you get from an inexpensive wind-up
toy.  I then bolted on a head that I had built a week ago as a way to use up a
spare fiber optic set that I had laying around.

Without the dead weight of the head and other ornamental bricks, the walker
can get around under its own power.  With these extras though, it needs a
little help to overcome the ravages of gravity.  I'm trying to re-design this
so that the main body of the walker doesn't bob up and down as it moves in
order to minimize the change in potential energy that must be supplied by the
poor, overloaded motor.  (I could just change the gearing but that would be
too easy!)

I can post close-ups of the walking mechanism if anyone is interested, but I
should probably redesign it first!

Special thanks to Kevin Loch for creating the BrickShelf Gallery!  I had just
built Craniac and snapped a few pics yesterday.  Then this morning, I find a
brand new gallery just waiting to host them!