 Technic / 1036
Re: Pneumatic Digger (with Pneumatic Solenoid Valves)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.technic
Date:
Wed, 9 Feb 2000 11:14:35 GMT

Smile... yeah, the motor-driven rotation leaves a bit to be desired; the
pneumatic digger arm is much cooler. I was shooting for a quick "proof of
concept" to test out the performance of the solenoid valves and see if I wanted
to buy any. (They are in such short supply that the 'roommate discount' won't
get me too far...)  :-)

I like the fact that we had to think a bit creatively to get the four arm
actions and three pneumatic rams to be controlled with just two solenoids. They
ended up being a lot more versatile than I had first realized. Needless to say,
I bought a few, and I can't wait to try and have the RCX control some of the
old classic pneumatic designs, as well as whatever new creations I can come up
with.  (Hmmm… maybe it's time for an RCX-controlled pneumatic stair-bot…)

In any case, the solenoids are definitely worth a look.

Take care,
- Jeff Barrett

In lugnet.technic, Kevin Maynes writes:
In lugnet.technic, Daniel Delcollo writes:
My roomate recently completed a project creating a pneumatic Digger using my
RCX Compatable Pneumatic valves and his RCX.  The results can be seen at:

http://www.jps.net/henrik/danweb/solenoid/solenoid4.html

and of course check out my ongoing RCX Compatable Pneumatic Valve Sale at:

http://www.jps.net/henrik/danweb/solenoid/solenoid3.html

thanks.

Luuuuvv It!
That is so cool. The action of the pneumatics has a nice feel to it, with the
attack/decay rate through the stroke. The RCX-controlled electric rotation,
however, leaves a bit to be desired (yes, I fully admit to nitpicking in this
case). It might have a neater, more "real" feel if the RCX were programmed to
accelerate & decelerate the motor when rotating. Easy to say, not so much so • to
do, but there you are.
As for solenoids, you mention on the solenoid3 page that you need a source for
more - have you tried www.clippard.com ? Hardly surplus (read cheap), but it
might be a more stable source for the long term.

My two cents
K.M.