 Storage / 586
Re: Sorting and Creativity
Newsgroups:
lugnet.storage
Date:
Tue, 4 Jul 2000 05:11:44 GMT

In lugnet.storage, Robert M. Dye writes:
From: "Frank Filz" <ffilz@mindspring.com>

This is part of my problem...my collection has gotten so big as to be
unmanageable.  I am working on a heiarchy to aid sorting and
organization...there should be another post on this ng tonight on the topic.

I do use somewhat of a hierarchy.

Each Plano type container holds closely related parts, and then stacks of
Plano type containers contain somewhat less closely related parts (for
example, there is a stack which is plate like things, 1 has small plates with
clips etc, one has tiles and tile variants, and the third has hinges [which
drifts away from being strickly plate like], another stack has various types
of slopes). When parts get to be too many for the Plano type containers, they
go into quart or gallon Ziploc type bags. The bags then go into drawers,
buckets, boxes, crates, or tubs, with related parts in the same tub. I have
two drawer units which then hold somewhat related parts (one for slopes, one
for plates), though because of quantities of parts, the units are becoming
less pure.

If I had a larger space, I would probably get a lot more drawer units, or
build shelves for Rubbermaid (or whatever brand) tubs, and then have related
things near each other, and not worry about efficiency of packing the tubs.

Unfortunately, it is impossible to come up with a perfect hierarchy because
the dimensionality of LEGO morphology is too high. Well, you could order the
parts by weight, but you'd probably never be able to find a given whatsit then
(gee is the whatsit about the weight of a 1x1 brick or is it the weight of a
1x2 tile, no wait, it's made of the softer plastic, and it's much thinner than
a normal part, so it must be about the weight of a 1x1 plate).

Frank