 Storage / 498
Re: LEGO bake test
Newsgroups:
lugnet.storage
Date:
Tue, 29 Feb 2000 16:54:53 GMT

In lugnet.storage, Kevin Loch wrote:

In lugnet.storage, Eric Harshbarger writes:

Let me follow up on my earlier pos about LEGO baking/heat testing.

In a second, completely un-scientific test, I set my oven at
roughly 150 Fahrenheit (I did not have a baking thermometer to
measure accurately). I put a few yellow 2x4 bricks within the oven.
A pair of them joined by all 8 studs, a pair joined by 4 common
studs, and one brick by itself.

They baked for about 10 minutes and DID warp.

I repeat, they DID warp.

So somewhere around 150F (65.5 C) is dangerous for our little
plastic toys.

Now, whether an attic space would ever reach 150 degrees (even in
an Alabama summer) is doubtful, but more tests (and more accurate
tests) are required.

Is is possible to melt the plastic without burning it?
It would be fun to do some experiments with those sand-molding kits
and say some train windows :)

Train windows!?!  Sacrilege!

I think I might leave some "test bricks" in various configurations in
my attic this summer, along with a thermometer that has memory for a
max reading.

Now, I *know* you shouldn't leave it in your car.  The local video
store has a lovely collection of heat-deformed videocassettes that were
left in people's cars.  Hmm, another opportunity for testing presents
itself...

FUT lugnet.destructive-testing?  :-)

--
Susan Hoover