 Storage / 467
Re: Storing for Growth and Storing Long-Term
Newsgroups:
lugnet.storage
Date:
Wed, 26 Jan 2000 04:55:45 GMT

Mr L F Braun wrote in message <388D6A27.88A49CDB@pilot.msu.edu>...

  Hi everyone,

  Well, it's finally happened.  My collection is growing by almost 30%
this month--I'm parting out over 180 unopened sets.  This means that my
bin system is now completely inadequate; I've bought larger bins, I'm
running out of room, and I'm running out of drawers in my thirteen
chests of drawers (various sizes--four 60-drawer, five 36-drawer, and
five 16-drawer) and my three hardware sorting boxes.  Argh!

  Here's my question:   What do you use as the rule of thumb for
dividing storage?  When is it better to divide pieces out by colour, and
when is it better to rely on the colour standing out?  I finally pulled
all of my grey bricks and put them in a separate tub; I have a much
smaller tub (all Rubbermaid Fashion Clears) that I use for my tan,
dkgrey, purple, torquoise, tan, and brown bricks.  Plates are divided,
on the other hand, by width; 1xN in one large tub, 2xN in a second tub,
and 3xN or larger in a third tub--colours are mixed together.  It's a
very haphazard and fluid system, and I can't seem to think of what a
*logical* division would look like.  Is it really that subjective (as
I'm inclined to believe), or does someone out there have a sure-fire
hierarchical method for breaking up parts and colours?

I've got an adaptive storage method. Pieces start off in PLANO type
containers (I use the brand Target sells which has twice as many divider
positions as the PLANO ones and the dividers seem to hold much better). When
they get too many for that (or they are too big to start off with), they go
into quart sized Hefty OneZip Freezer bags, when they outgrow that, they go
into gallon sized bags. Some pieces are in other storage (I've got a copier
paper box for BURPS, a tub for base-bricks (8x8 or larger, though the 12x24
bricks are now in a separate box), 4135 boxes hold various bits (horses just
outgrew one of those and are now in a large cardboard box, pirate masts,
rowboats, canoes, insectoid legs, etc.). Basic bricks are color and size
sorted (though several rare colors may share a bag). Some basic bricks have
overflowed gallon bags, and have overflow bags stored elsewhere (and now
basic bricks are going into two buckets, 1xY and 2xY). Few things beyond
bricks are sorted by color, though in situations where there are rare colors
of parts, if I feel the quantity would leave them hard to find, they will be
stored separately. For small parts, the bags make it fairly easy to find
what you want (in fact, the huge pile of used LEGO I'm dealing with is only
very roughly sorted, and I've found it not too hard to find 1x1 plates in a
gallon bag full of 1xY plates), easier than a box. With the bag, if you see
the part you need on the bottom, you can coax it to the top fairly easily.

The bags are stored in tubs, boxes, and a couple plastic drawer units
(approx 12x15x30 inches), mostly organized (one overflowing tub holds 1x1
and 1x2 bricks, one overflowing holds 2x2 and 2x3 bricks, one overflowing
holds 1xY (Y>=6)bricks, one overflowing large non-LEGO tub (about 2xtub
capacity) holds 1x4, another holds 2x4, a LEGO tub holds 2xY (Y>=6) and 4xY
(Y>=4) bricks, two of the non-LEGO tubs hold doors and windows and fences
and (this area is where the mostly part of organized comes in).

Usually I pick the right tub or drawer, but sometimes I have to look in a
few places. A big sort usually results in something moving (which is where
the "adaptive" part comes in).

What I don't yet know is how well this will hold up to extended building.
Like many avid buyers, I seem to spend most of my time buying and sorting,
fortuanately that's slowing down, though so far, most of my building has
been of stock sets (either making sure an auction buy is complete, sorting
sets from huge lots, or checking out that cool new [or not so new - I just
built the Tie and Y-Wing since I was interested in the dark grey 3x3
diagonal bricks used in the Tie] set).

My sorting system works well when I need one or two specific parts. When I
start serious building, I may need to switch the bricks to being stored in
tubs by color. I've some experience with getting bricks of specific colors
because I'm replacing yellowed white bricks in used sets as I go. One good
thing about consigning all basic bricks (actually only 1x4 and smaller and
2x4 and smaller, common colors only, exclusive of black 1x3 [which I used up
most of in my water tower, so I'm replenishing]) to overflow buckets is that
I can leave the white bricks at the top.

My biggest problem right now is how to store minifigs, though I'll probably
end up going the re-sealable bag route with them also. I just can't find a
container with moveable dividers which has suitable dimensions.

Question two:  I'm moving to Europe and then to Africa over the next two
or three years, and my LEGO must go into storage (save a small amount I
will doubtless purchase to play with in situ, and some I will buy and
ship home of course ;) ).  What is the best way to ensure that LEGO will
survive, say, two or three years in a storage unit?  Will plastic
storage bins be adequate, or should I try to buy lots of Silica-Gel bags
and other dessicant?  (If it helps, this collection is going to be in
the neighbourhood of 90,000 pieces or more by then, not exactly the sort
of thing I can send "home" to the folks.)  Likewise, what is the best
way to store unopened sets long-term in a storage unit, to avoid warping
of boxes or moulting of the surface?

I'm assuming you're talking one of those self store places, with a unit
which opens to the outside, and no climate control, in New Jersey?

Bricks stored in plastic containers should keep pretty well. I would buy
some large Rubbermaid (or your brand of choice) tubs for the boxes. You'll
want something with a pretty good seal. I'd make sure your unit has good
drainage (I don't think you need to worry too much about roof leaks though).

Any help would be greatly appreciated, either on-list or via email
(preferably the former, because it may help someone else out there).

best wishes,

Lindsay

---

Lindsay Frederick Braun (Mr)