 Storage / 464
463  |  465
Subject:
Storing for Growth and Storing Long-Term
Newsgroups:
lugnet.storage
Date:
Tue, 25 Jan 2000 09:17:28 GMT

   Hi everyone,

   Well, it's finally happened.  My collection is growing by almost 30%
this month--I'm parting out over 180 unopened sets.  This means that my
bin system is now completely inadequate; I've bought larger bins, I'm
running out of room, and I'm running out of drawers in my thirteen
chests of drawers (various sizes--four 60-drawer, five 36-drawer, and
five 16-drawer) and my three hardware sorting boxes.  Argh!

   Here's my question:   What do you use as the rule of thumb for
dividing storage?  When is it better to divide pieces out by colour, and
when is it better to rely on the colour standing out?  I finally pulled
all of my grey bricks and put them in a separate tub; I have a much
smaller tub (all Rubbermaid Fashion Clears) that I use for my tan,
dkgrey, purple, torquoise, tan, and brown bricks.  Plates are divided,
on the other hand, by width; 1xN in one large tub, 2xN in a second tub,
and 3xN or larger in a third tub--colours are mixed together.  It's a
very haphazard and fluid system, and I can't seem to think of what a
*logical* division would look like.  Is it really that subjective (as
I'm inclined to believe), or does someone out there have a sure-fire
hierarchical method for breaking up parts and colours?

Question two:  I'm moving to Europe and then to Africa over the next two
or three years, and my LEGO must go into storage (save a small amount I
will doubtless purchase to play with in situ, and some I will buy and
ship home of course ;) ).  What is the best way to ensure that LEGO will
survive, say, two or three years in a storage unit?  Will plastic
storage bins be adequate, or should I try to buy lots of Silica-Gel bags
and other dessicant?  (If it helps, this collection is going to be in
the neighbourhood of 90,000 pieces or more by then, not exactly the sort
of thing I can send "home" to the folks.)  Likewise, what is the best
way to store unopened sets long-term in a storage unit, to avoid warping
of boxes or moulting of the surface?

Any help would be greatly appreciated, either on-list or via email
(preferably the former, because it may help someone else out there).

best wishes,

Lindsay

---

Lindsay Frederick Braun (Mr)