 Storage / 1412
Re: Brick Storage Showcase (and some padding to make lines wrap well)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.storage
Date:
Fri, 16 Apr 2004 07:26:44 GMT

In lugnet.storage, Thomas Garrison wrote:
In lugnet.storage, Kevin Salm wrote:

If you have a storage system, either good or bad
that you would like to show off but have never
documented it, now is the time.

~~ massive snippage ~~

Okay---if you like fuzzy pictures[0].

TWS Garrison

Excellent Storage Array.  What do you figure the cost to have been so far?

Overall, VERY compartmentalized.  Perhaps more than my personal preference.
How does your storage affect your building?  I mean does it tend to hinder
unplanned creativity and do you spend a lot of time remembering where each part
is before finding it?  Is part retreival time very long?  While building, things
that take a lot of parts (like structures), or things with great variety of
parts (like locomotives) do you remove many drawers from their holding units  or
is it better for you to constantly keep pulling open drawers?

And how about the putting stuff away processes:  After sessions of heavy
building, does it take much time to re-store unused parts?  How often do you
have to re-allocate space as your collection grows?

Many questions, I know, but having a draw-less storage system for a collection
at least as large as yours, I wanted to judge the pros and cons of such a
system.  Someday I may have to invest in purchased storage units because my
storage system, while inexpensive, is becoming impossible to work with.

__Kevin Salm__
curator, Lugnet Storage newsgroup

Oh, just so you know where I am coming from, my storage system is almost
completely comprised of Lego flip-top boxes that the largest sets are sold in.
Examples of boxes I use come from sets like 5987, 6198, 5542, 6598, etc.  Right
now I have over 120 such boxes sitting in stacks of 6 or 8 boxes on the floor.
Always, the parts I want are in the box on the the bottom of the stack so I am
constantly moving the stacks around to get to the boxes I want.

.