 Storage / 1267
Re: [PRESS RELEASE] BOX-4-BLOX™-THE INCREDIBLE BOX THAT SORTS AND STORES LEGO® BRICKS
Newsgroups:
lugnet.storage
Date:
Tue, 7 Jan 2003 17:32:41 GMT

In lugnet.storage, Ondrew Hartigan writes:
I had the privlage of using this wonderfull device about a week ago. I must
say it works wonderfully and is worth every penny. The best thing about this
sorting box is it works for technic parts, most notably connector pegs and
gears. all of the pegs and short technic axles go straignt to the bottom of
the box and the gears get sorted by size. The box also works great for all
kinds of brick and has saved me hours of sorting all ready. My only
sugestion is if you are going to sort basic brick use only the bottom 2
trays as they will be the most usefull.

Ondrew Hartigan

Hey Ondrew -
Thanks for the positive review!

Having used the box myself, I suggest using all of the trays to sort basic
bricks, here's why:

The yellow tray allows anything smaller than 4x4 to pass through, the blue
tray anything smaller than 3x3, red anything smaller than 2x2. Longer bricks
have a difficult time orienting themselves to fall through the holes, even
if they are only 1 or 2 wide. This makes it perfect for sorting out large
basic bricks by exact dimensions. 2x8's tend to stay on the top, 2x6's tend
to stay in the blue tray, and all of the smaller 2xN bricks fall to the red
tray. You can easily sort out your longer 2xN bricks this way. Also, 1x4s
tend to stay on the red tray -- easy to sort them out by exact dimensions.
The same with 1x6's on the blue tray. Not to mention the only thing that
will make it to the bottom tray is 1xN bricks. The separating of the small
bricks from the large bricks is quite a time saver!

I've also seen it used for Technic, and WOW talk about a fast way to
separate short axles, connector pegs, and small gears from everything else!
The various sized gears also get trapped at different levels so it's great
to sort them out by size too. The ability to get all the small parts
separated from the large parts fast (seeing that the small Technic parts are
really tiny) is great.

I know that many of us (myself included) sort our LEGO to an extreme degree.
Most of my bins are for one type of part (don't have enough on most things
to have a separate bin for each color of each part -- yet). While the box
won't do everything for you, it gives you a good head start on separating
parts by size. It's a lot easier to sort similar sized parts by hand than it
is to deal with all different sizes at once - large parts obscuring small
parts, etc.

Personally, I think it's a great product. I've used it successfully to help
me sort my many unsorted piles back into my collection. And, I'm proud to be
associated with it :-)

-Tim

--
Tim Courtney