 Storage / 1190
Re: Dimensions of IRIS carts.
Newsgroups:
lugnet.storage
Date:
Tue, 1 Oct 2002 07:26:18 GMT

I can't give you the EXACT height of the standard Costco stack because I
never leave them in the stock configuration ;-)  You can get a decent
estimate of the stock stack height using the below...

See http://www.vfaq.com/LEGO/home/

The first pic is 9 Costco carts, split and restacked (there were 3 extra med
drawers left over).  Large drawers on the left, med in the middle, small on
the right.  You can see that 3 large=4 med=6 small in height, so you end up
building in groups of 3 large drawers if you want an entire stack to be one
size drawer only and be level across the top.

The drawers, including their frame, from one drawer to the next (not
including the tabs that lock into the drawer frame above) - rough
measurements, I didn't crack out the micrometer ;-) :
Large - 7.875"H x 12.625"W x ~15.75"D
Med -  5.875"H x 12.625"W x ~15.75"D
Sml -  4"H x 12.625"W x ~15.75"D

I know the above measurements don't jive with the 3/4/6 ratio, but trust me,
when you snap them together in like sizes, you get 3/4/6 to be the exact same
height.

So each Costco stack is 2 large, 3 med, 2 small drawers, which would make it
ROUGHLY 42" high.  As you can see in my pics, I prefer the stacks to be
roughly 72" high ;-)

At about $20 at Costco, they are a BARGAIN, considering the
6-all-small-drawer/2-small-2-large-drawer stacks usually go on sale for $20
elsewhere.  And they seem to vary the frame colors - I've gotten white,
black, and "clear" (same sorta milkjug white as the drawers) within a few
weeks of each other.  Unfortunately, they've never had silver, metallic blue,
metallic violet, or metallic pink.  Probably not generic enough ;-)

BTW, if Costco ever puts the Iris carts on sale for $XX.44, buy all you can
fit in your living space asap, as .44 is a clearance price.

John Morgan wrote:

In lugnet.storage, Thomas Stangl writes:

No, we can't, sorry.  Because you have to specify WHICH Iris carts, by
model, or by the store selling them, or links to them, etc, etc.

You can walk into a store and see 4 different Iris carts that look
"exactly alike", but differ in width/depth just enough to not interlock.

Except for 2 Iris carts from Office Depot that are narrower and
shallower, all the rest of mine are the "Costco standard" size.  When I
see Iris carts on sale and need some, I take a spare top piece from a
stack and take it with me to make SURE what they are selling is the
right size to interlock with the 50+ I already have.

All right, can you give me the dimensions of the Costco size?

thanks.

--
Tom Stangl
***http://www.vfaq.com/