 Star Wars / 8441
8440  |  8442
Subject:
New sets arrived in Germany
Newsgroups:
lugnet.starwars
Date:
Fri, 4 Aug 2000 23:52:54 GMT

Hi!

Went to the local Toys'R'Us today and with some surprise (the sets said
'available in August' in the catalog, this usually means they are
available at the end of the month at Toys) found both UCS sets and the
Falcon after some searching - they hid them very good; I don't know why
they didn't put them on display. Some other new stuff was there too (the
new adventurer sets for example).

Since the last week was very busy I bought the Falcon to cheer me up a
little bit and now after building it (there were errors in the manual,
first time I found some in Lego building instructions) I think it is a
nice set with some minor flaws (C3PO and Chewies heads are a little bit
too small, the cockpit has no hinges, etc.) and some good ideas (the
smuggling compartments and the Hans Solo minifig rules!)
Besides the errors the building instructions is very detailed and the
earlier discussed color scheme for the different kinds of bricks, slopes
and plates made it a very easy build; maybe they didn't want to hear
complains from angry parents whose chidren couldn't finish this set ;-)

The worst thing about the Falcon is the price: 180.-DM (about $83). The
UCS Tie Interceptor has the same price and the UCS X-Wing costs 280.-DM
(about $130) - I think I wait for christmas and birthday for those, the
Falcon already produced a big black hole in my purse. I waged between
the UCS Tie Interceptor and The Falcon for a while, but since I really
like the Star Wars minifigs I went with Falcon.

Another surprise was the HUGE box. I planned to drive to Toys with my
motor scooter (it's one of first sunny days after the month with the
most rain since recorded wheather history in my city...) but luckily I
decided to use the car - I never would have managed to get this thing
home. Is it me or have all three sets similiar sized boxes? Strange if
you consider the price difference to the X-Wing.

And in the box was a Lego survey much like the one described in some
earlier postings but I noticed some strange stuff: In German you have
the choice between two words if you want to address someone in a letter:
you use 'Du' if you write a letter to a friend or a child; but if you
address someone you don't know or want to be very polite you use 'Sie'.
In the Lego survey the first 8 Questions were written with 'Du' but the
last question and the following text used 'Sie' - maybe it's just a
translation error...
As far as I know this is the first set in Germany with this kind of
survey (it says 'Earn a free LEGO product' on the first page and Lego
even pays the postage :-) I think I will be the owner of cowboy keychain
soon ;-)
If I receive something different here in Germany I will post a message.

CU,
Stefan

--
Stefan Eilert    -> seilert@uos.de