 Star Wars / 746
745  |  747
Subject:
My impresions on the first 5 Star Wars Lego sets
Newsgroups:
lugnet.starwars
Date:
Thu, 11 Mar 1999 22:04:55 GMT

Let me begin by saying that this is the most excited I have been over something
(Other than my Wife and getting married recently) I have been in a long time.
Lego my favorite toy growing up and Star Wars being my favorite movie this was
a match made in heaven.

Now to the sets.  I purchased all 5 sets at FAO Schwartz in Boston and yes I
paid a premium for shopping there but in this case I didn't care it was
convinient and they had the sets in stock (If price is a concern don't shop
here I won't in the future).  After building all 5 sets I have ranked all 5 in
terms of "Bang for the Buck" and they are as follows.

1.  X-Wing - 7140
2.  Snow Speeder - 7130
3.  Y-Wing/Tie Fighter - 7150
4.  Speeder Bikes - 7128
5.  Land Speeder - 7110

I know that many of you will have differing opinions on this.  Before I give my
reasoning for my rankings let me tell you how I base my impressions.  First I
see these as toy's first not display models (and I plan on only displaying
them).  I realize that some license must be given to combine Star Wars and Lego
into one universe and compromises have to be made for play ability over
authenticity.

Now the X-wing I thought was by far a superior model.  It is sturdy and fairly
authentic although the storage compartments were in odd places.  I also liked
the maintenance/transport vehicle.  1-10 I rate 9 1/2

The Snow Speeder is also a very sturdy model and very authentic looking
although
the crew compartments are separated.  The only thing I didn't like was the lack
of landing gear.  The radar gun and soldier are also nice.  I rate 8

The Y-Wing/Tie Fighter.  I like Darth Vader and the Tie fighter looks cool (I
don't mind the blue) although a bit clunkie in construction (For playability
so kids can crash it easily).  The Y-wing is very "Thin" or 2 dimensional.  The
pilot has to almost lay down in the cockpit and the landing gear is very week
it was like they didn't know what to do and just threw something on.  I rate 7

The speeder bikes are cool and I like the Scout Troopers.  That tree thing is a
bit unnecessary.  And what is that thing on the back of the box a "Fern
Mobile"?  I rate 6 1/2

The Land Speeder is authentic although it doesn't hover.  Initially this
didn't bother me until I put the maintenance vehicle together for the X-wing
and it hovers nicely.  I did rectify this but putting a 2x8 plate on the
bottom and balancing it on that.  I rate 6

Anyway they were all worth the money but if you want the best bang for the buck
get the X-wing by far the best.  I also like all the pilot figures with their
different helmets and so forth.