 Star Wars / 5041
5040  |  5042
Subject:
Fair Play (Re: Updated again)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.starwars, lugnet.publish
Date:
Fri, 17 Dec 1999 20:07:26 GMT

In lugnet.starwars, Ryan Ritenour writes:
I've added some more Battle Droid Instruction scans and also box scans of
the Skiff, Pit Droid, and the Gungan Patrol.

While I think we all appreciate your enthusiasm for hte new Star Wars sets, and
you are probably aware of BrickShelf's collection of instructions, you might
not be aware of The Lego Company's specifically stated stance on posting
instructions to the web.  Kevin has stated many times that he was told by TLC
that posting instructions for sets no longer in produciton is fine, but
anything still being produced and distributed was off-limits.

Something else that you might not be aware of is that TLC is taking a pretty
large risk with their copyrights over this material by allowing this use of the
instructions, which we all appreciate.  I have a large amount of respect for
TLC and their "fair play" policies because it seems to me that they realise
that there's more they should use as a guideline than the letter of the law-
they want to make allowances to give their fans greater access to past TLC
products.  This can be an invaluable resource to Lego fans- after all, there
are lots of garage sales out there with bricks and no instructions.

But doing things like posting instructions to new sets might well cause TLC and
their legal counsel to decide that they've made too many allowances, and begin
defending their copyrights by shutting down all sites with TLC copyrighted
material.  Which would suck for everyone.

Keep in mind, by the way, that I'm not someone who plays these kinds of things
overly-cautious- for example, I fully beleive that the posting of the scans
from the retailer catalogues was perfectly ok.  But this is going one step too
far.

Please think seriously about the possible ramifications of the site you're in
the process of building.

eric