 Star Wars / 3400
3399  |  3401
Subject:
escape pods
Newsgroups:
lugnet.starwars
Date:
Sat, 31 Jul 1999 14:14:42 GMT

A couple of weeks back there was a bit of discussion on making escape pods.  I
was trying to figure out a good way to make mini-fig pods for my Millennium
Falcon.  Got a lot of ideas from people and here is what I've come up with.

Three corner castle wall segments with plates connecting them top and bottom.
The opening on the fourth corner is filled with a 1x4x5 train door with a
window.  Add a little detailing and I'm pretty happy with it.  On top, I've
included a 1x2 technic brick whith a hole in the side.  The Pod pushes against
a bungee cord stretched across the hole the pod fits in.  When it's all the
way in, you slide a technic axle into the hole and it's locked in position.
To eject the escape pod, simply pull the pin and it shoots up about 12"

I expect to mount two such escape pods in my Falcon.

A couple of comments:

1) I like the look of the pod with a door.  The combination of three castle
walls and the train door shape looks pretty cool.  I've never seen it done
before but it looks good.

2) The pod comfortably holds two minifigs in a sitting position or 3-4 if you
simply want to cram them in.

I'm integrating this change in as I detail the inside of my Falcon.  finding
space is a major challenge and I have to reroute pneumatic and electrical
lines to get the pods in.

I'm also planning to add a 1 or possibly two small cargo holds and an
elecctronics service bay, Where Han helps Liea in Emire strikes back.  These
additions should pretty much occupy nearly every interior space of the Falcon.

Ben