 Star Wars / 3031
Re: Outrider project ( VERY LONG) -- read at your own risk!
Newsgroups:
lugnet.starwars
Date:
Wed, 16 Jun 1999 16:17:57 GMT

Geoff and whoever else might be interested (sorry for the length),

First, yes, the ship was going to be minifig scale.  The hull was five
bricks high at its lowest point and about six bricks high at its highest
point.  So, minifigs would have had appropriate head room within most parts
of the hull.

The colors of the hull were as follows: dark gray inverted slopes for the
bottom, gray bricks for the second row, black bricks for the middle row,
gray bricks for the fourth row, and a mix of dark gray medium slopes and
gray bricks for the fifth row.  The "roof" of the hull was made using gray,
dark gray and black plates.  The same approach was going to apply to the
bottom or floor of the hull.

I don't recall the exact stud width of the hull, but I'm sure it wasn't to
actual scale.

The outrigger was going to be about 10 studs wide around the cockpit section
(wide enough to comfortably sit two minifigs side-by-side, in addition to
giving enough room for two additional passengers).  Also, it was going to
narrow in the middle to about eight or six studs (one of the landing pads
would have retracted here)and extend outwards again to accommodate the
escape pod.  The canopy was going to be made with the Rock Raiders brown
roll cage piece, rigged to hold gray plates to disguise some of the brown
framework.

The rear outrigger "arm" was about six studs wide.  I believe the front arm
was about 12-14 studs wide by the hull and narrowed to about six studs wide
at the entrance to the cockpit.

The raised portion of the upper and lower hull (where the gun turrets were)
was going to be created with a mix of extreme slopes, low slopes and medium
slopes.  Actually, I had already completed the upper gun turret section.
The gun turrets were going to include gunner chairs so two minifigs could
operate the upper and lower guns.

For those of you who'd like to attempt this project and own some UFO sets,
you might want to try using those saucer pieces on the hull somehow.  I
don't own any, so I wasn't able to try.  I also encourage you to contact Ben
Fleskes and ask for his input on the hull.  As we know, he's actually
completed a similar project of an even larger magnitude, and he might have
some great suggestions for the hull.

Well, I *was* going to take pictures prior to demolition, but our camera was
out of film :-(  So, although I haven't completely taken it apart, I have
removed the "roof" of the hull.  I'm not sure how useful pictures would be
at this stage.

Finally, a word of warning for those of you who'd like to attempt creating
this project with a less-than-large brick collection.  The Outrider is
smaller than the Millennium Falcon, but it's size is deceptive and requires
a lot of time, patience, LEGO bricks, plates and slopes (in gray, which can
be expensive) to finish correctly; mainly due to the hull section.  All of
which I don't have much of.

A note:  see the Dark Horse comic version of Shadows of the Empire to see
roughly how the Outrider compares size-wise to the M. Falcon and other
ships.

Thanks for reading and hope this encourages Geoff or someone else to
complete the Outrider project!

Steve B.