 Star Wars / 263
    Re: 6 months! —Larry Pieniazek
   Mike Stanley wrote: <24M ?? admin wrath> I guess I'm confused. What's the difference between ftping a file from a site and receiving it in the mail? Same bandwidth consumption, really. Or am I missing something? I defer to your knowledge since I (...) (26 years ago, 24-Nov-98, to lugnet.starwars)

        Re: 6 months! —Mike Stanley
     (...) Well, generally speaking mail servers are "meant" to handle lots of little files, really tiny files on average. I don't know about most places, but a lot of the boxes I've seen have things like mailhost.x.x running on totally separate machines (...) (26 years ago, 24-Nov-98, to lugnet.starwars)

         Re: 6 months! —Richard Dee
      I do have a question regarding ftp downloads..... I was advised to find an ftp site to download this file. If, in the event I experienced the same problems downloading again, I could just go to the site again, and pick up where I had been "let off." (...) (26 years ago, 24-Nov-98, to lugnet.starwars)

          Re: 6 months! —Mike Stanley
       (...) Well, first I wouldn't use Communicator to ftp files, although it may be capable of rudimentary ftp commands. I would download a graphical ftp client like CuteFTP or BulletProof, both of which have resume capability. The server he's running (...) (26 years ago, 24-Nov-98, to lugnet.starwars)

          Re: 6 months! —Terry Keller
      (...) You might also try the program GetRight: (URL) is great for downloading files - especially large ones. -- Terry K -- (26 years ago, 25-Nov-98, to lugnet.starwars)

         Re: 6 months! —Matthew Miller
     (...) Yeah -- this is true in addition to my earlier comments. The U of Washington POP/IMAP server (pretty popular) at least seems to load currently-being-downloaded messages completely into RAM. So a lot of people sending big files can fill up a (...) (26 years ago, 25-Nov-98, to lugnet.starwars)

        Re: 6 months! —Matthew Miller
   (...) Actually mailing a file usually uses more bandwidth, because the file must be encoded -- maybe something like a 25% increase. But the main problem is server space: when you ftp a file, it goes from the remote site directly to your machine. (...) (26 years ago, 24-Nov-98, to lugnet.starwars)

        Re: 6 months! —Larry Pieniazek
   (...) Doh! Well, retract what I said about email. I should know better, too. (26 years ago, 25-Nov-98, to lugnet.starwars)