 Star Wars / 17691
Re: New 2007 pics
Newsgroups:
lugnet.starwars
Date:
Sat, 30 Sep 2006 04:53:32 GMT

In lugnet.starwars, Allan Porter wrote:
Several new pics of star wars sets for 2007 have just appeared on brickshelf

And here are some pics of some more sets for 2007

http://eurobricks.hosting.ipsyn.com/euroforum/index.php?act=home

What a nice pirate kit! The aesthetics and design is well-thought out
and top-notch. It has the appearance of an official Lego product.

Too bad it isn't one.

I may be stepping out of bounds by comparing a homemade
kit to an official lego set, but it is disappointing to scroll down a
bit to see one of Lego's official product lines, which is the Exoforce.
Comparing the Exoforce models to the Pirate kit, the Pirate Kit wins
hands-down.

There is something different - that really bugs me about the Exoforce designs.
It's probably the 'flashiness factor'. Lego seems to be concentrating a lot on
the box art - and developing a design which is character-based. It even caters
to the anime niche. Clever marketing - but what about the designs? There is
just something unappealing about them. Maybe it's the overuse of decals and
bulky elements that make up the design. Maybe it's the lack of traditional
building elements in the models. Maybe it's the weird gizmos thrown on the
models just for show. Whatever the case, they don't have that 'luster' that I
would expect from Lego.

Look at their offering of Star Wars sets - such as the TIE fighter, DSD and X
Wing. The difference is obvious. These are well-engineered designs that will
stand the test of time and stay on the shelf. The same goes for classic sets,
such as Guarded Inn or the Blacksmith Shop release. Who knows what will become
of the Exoforce designs. Will they stay on the shelf, or become a forgotten
byproduct of Lego's design team?

Which leads me to my point. Why doesn't Lego recruit builders responsible for
high quality homemade kits to their design team? Have they tried it before
without much success? Are certain credentials required that these builders don't
have?

Just wondering!

- Matt Hein

www.ospreycg.net

P.S - It would be nice to see the back of some of these boxes to see what sort
of alternative design possibilities Lego came up with for the Exoforce designs.