 Star Wars / 1746
1745  |  1747
Subject:
I hope I don't make the evening news
Newsgroups:
lugnet.starwars
Date:
Mon, 3 May 1999 15:19:28 GMT

A friend and I headed to TRU around 11:30, and got in line behind 50 others.
30 more arrived by 12:01.  The local news had a camera crew there, so my friend
and I spent 1/2 hour doing our best to keep turned away from the camera.  I can
just see it, my face on the 6 o'clock news along with 80 other adult psychos
with nothing better to do on a Sunday night than wait to buy Star Wars toys.

The manager was walking up and down the line saying "We've got plenty of
product, so there's no need to run or fight."  Evidently some enterprising TRU
employees put up signs around the stores saying that each customer could only
buy two of each item.  The manager had a fit and made them tear down the signs,
then took another walk down the line to let everyone know they could buy as
much as they wanted within reason.

So the doors opened and we filed in more or less calmly, and began "the
search," all the while avoiding the news camera.  I was originaly just going
for Lego, but my friend convinced me to get a few figures, too.  Of Lego, they
had the Pod Race, Gungan Sub, Naboo Fighter, Duel, Sith Infiltrator, Droid
Fighter, and the Snowspeeder that has eluded me these many months.  I had the
manager looking through the stockroom for the Swamp and Anakin's Pod, to no
avail.  Paid up and made it home by 1 a.m.

After a short night filled with strange dreams of Droid Fighters, I ran into
work early to hand in a report by 8:30.  Then I sneaked out for a quick trip to
Wal-Mart.  Wow! they had everything, and plenty of it.  The only crowd there
was Wal-Mart employees efficiently scanning each aisle for anything out of
place.  I picked up the Swamp and Pod, and returned to work much happier.

Now for an enjoyable week of Lego building/playing with my kids!  Best of luck
to the rest of ya.

-John Van