 Star Wars / 17432
17431  |  17433
Subject:
Another Sandcrawler
Newsgroups:
lugnet.starwars
Date:
Mon, 6 Jun 2005 19:45:38 GMT
Highlighted:
!! (details)

Ok, first off I want to say that I started this moc MONTHS ago - long, long before I ever knew of the new Lego set coming out soon. This was displayed at HoB along side the my Falcon, as well as other, smaller MOCs and displays.

First off, some images:

The entire folder: http://www.brickshelf.com/cgi-bin/gallery.cgi?f=130344

As you can see, the main difference between my model and the new Lego model is that I used a SNOT method instead of building straight up. This is also bigger in size (perhaps not by much), however I would not say that it is mini-fig scale. I estimate for mini-fig scale like the Falcon it would have to be about twice the height! Even still, this measures two feet long, one foot high, and eight inches wide.

I was not concerned about mini-fig scale when I started this. Starting with the treads, I figured out about how far apart they would have to be to look scale.

Also, while the treads certainly can move (although only on carpet or non-smooth surfaces), they do not turn for steering. (Although at the risk of smugness, I note that it looks like the BACK wheels turn in the LEGO model, not the front treads like in the movie!) I may correct this in the next revision.

The backside was largely inventive on my part, as I could find very few clear images of the back (in the movie you can see it but it’s at nighttime :( ). The top also needs a bit of greebly work, but the basics are there. I got a lot of flak about the color of the top, but I used tan for two reasons. In the Incredible Cross-Sections book (my main source), the top appears to be a lighter color. Secondly, I’d completely run out of brown. ;)

As with the Falcon, there is no interior. This is mostly because, once again, the inside is more devoted to structure and stability. However, since this is not mini-fig scale I felt less of a need for an interior then I do for the Falcon. However, I find that it doesn’t look too bad when you have figs on the outside, as evidenced in the display at HoB: http://www.brickshelf.com/cgi-bin/gallery.cgi?i=1217108

The Sandcrawler is the second largest MOC I’ve ever created. I really need to start thinking small... :)

-Matt