 Star Wars / 1740
1739  |  1741
Subject:
Midnight at Toys "R" Us
Newsgroups:
lugnet.starwars
Date:
Mon, 3 May 1999 13:01:35 GMT

I pulled into the parking lot of my local TRU (Mishawaka, IN) at 11:45 last
night, and got in line behind 50-60 other fanatics.  A few observations on the
crowd: mostly white males, most high school-college age and up, a handful of
moms/girlfriends/wives, only one or two "minors," nobody in costume.  The WNDU
news van pulled up at about 11:55, followed closely by my friend Tim.

The doors opened promptly at midnight.  The Lego sets were in the very first
aisle of the Star Wars display, which we quickly ducked into while the other
fans went straight for the action figures.  The only set I didn't see was
Anakin's Pod Racer, and there were only a couple of the Sith Infiltrator.

I grabbed every Episode 1 set they had except the Mos Espa Pod Race, along
with the Landspeeder that I hadn't picked up yet, and headed toward the
checkout.  We were the first people to check out; the cashier was still getting
the register set up!  While we waited for her to get ready the line started
forming behind us.  One of the other customers had a Puzz-3D of R2-D2
(definitely going on my Christmas list!).

I felt like Santa Claus, carrying a HUGE bag with 7 sets in it back to my car.
All in all, it was pretty painless - I was home assembling the Lightsaber Duel
by 12:30.

Chad