 Star Wars / 17386
17385  |  17387
Subject:
Quick review of #7259 ARC-170 Starfighter
Newsgroups:
lugnet.starwars
Date:
Thu, 12 May 2005 06:31:38 GMT
Highlighted:
(details)

Just picked this one up at my local consignment shop (which, to my joy,
happens to now be carrying new as well as used Lego, which means I can bring
in old stuff I don't want, they sell it and I can use the credit to defray
the costs of new stuff!).

This will be the set I'll buy the most of given that most of the other sets
are overflowing with the new grays and brown (although I will pick up a few
Droid Tri-Fighters for the light blue parts).  I can't get enough dark red
and more white is always welcome (especially given how some of my old parts
have faded over the years).  The main fuselage of the model is pretty sturdy
but as others have already commented, it's fairly flimsy in the nose and
wings.  This is probably due to the many challenges the designers faced
trying to approximate the shape of the ship at the scale they're working.
One thing's for sure, any kid who starts swooshing this thing around the
house is going to picking a lot of pieces off the floor if there's any
"accidents."  The wings are quite delicate and could've easily been braced
with the inclusion of two 1x8 plates on the underside.

The worm gearbox function that opens the smaller wings is groovy, but is
almost exactly the same as the arrangement used on the second X-Wing set.
However, they've added a new function that really caught my attention.  In
addition to the axle rotation dialing the wings open and closed, they added
a Technic rubber band arrangement that allows you to pull the axle backward
a little bit and drop a few 1x1 tran-dark blue "bombs" from the underside.
I was really impressed that they were able to use the worm gear to function
two separate and very different ways, and the set is worth buying just to
see how this is accomplished.  It's also the first time I've seen the red
mount for the black Soccer minifig handle used outside a Soccer set.  Very
cool.

A good selection of dark red parts including three 1x4 hinge bricks, a pair
of the new 3x8 wing plates, and a pair of 2x8 medium-slope bricks.  There
are actually four dark green 1x4 tiles, two of which are hidden in the
fuselage.  There's also a new 2x2 medium-slope computer panel in black.  The
image is of a Droid Tri-Fighter, but fortunately is generic enough in
appearance to be functional anywhere, unlike many of the other Star Wars
computers.

Overall, a pretty cool set, and at $40, seems a pretty good price as well.

Dave S.