 Star Wars / 17005
Re: Imperial Shuttle with 6 wide landing ramp
Newsgroups:
lugnet.starwars
Date:
Wed, 20 Oct 2004 15:44:22 GMT

In lugnet.starwars, Bill Pfund wrote:
OK, here are af few comments:

I like what you are attempting to do with the Lambda Class Shuttle (LCS).  We
all recognize the problems with Lego's version as far as it not being to
scale. So far I have not seen anyone build an LCS that is to scale.  Bruce
Lowell has a 1 foot to 1 stud scale, but I can't remember if he made an LCS
using this scale (I'll have to visit his website again). Anyway, your model's
increase in interior space and the addition of the boarding ramp is a good
start.  The cockpit, however, needs to increase in size as well.  I recall
the whole Star Wars lead cast sitting in the cockpit of their stolen LCS.  If
this is the case, and they are looking out the main forward window, the
cockpit would need to be at least wide enough for two or perhaps three
minifigs to sit next to each other, with standing room towards the rear. Of
course this means giving up the cool windshield that Lego made for their LCS
and using other transparent pieces to design a larger cockpit.  I think this
is one of the reasons why I haven't seen anyone do the LCS to scale.  It may
be feasable using just black sloped pieces for the windscreen, but of course
you wouldn't get the pleasure of looking into the cockpit from the outside.

Just my oversized 2 cents...

Bill Pfund

Thanks for the input.  There are some models on brickshelf that did indeed use
sloped black bricks, but I found that "ugly" becuase well you can't see into the
model. =)

My primary focus in redoing the shuttle was to a) get a landing ramp and b) have
a command center in the back.  The wings (all 3 of theme) and the cockpit were I
did not focus on until I was done with the back.  By that point I was "drained"
mentally and of white parts to worry about them.  So for the wings I just
expanded them based off the originial design and the coackpit I initally just
build the one TLC made and stuck on my my model. =)

But after "flying the ship" around the room the wings were a bit weak and
wobbled and the cockpit did not look right.  To fix the wings I added another
set of those "L" shape technice plates and that helped the wobbeling.  The
cockpit I liked what Gareth had done with the flip-up windshelf and a more
detailed 1 seater.  So I choose the easy route and just added some more bricks
to it.

What should really be done is NOT use that big bucket like part on the cockpit
but built it from the ground-up.  That off course, will force me to make the
cockpit at least 8 studs wide which in turn will cause the back to be a bit
wider as well.  At the width I am now I can't spam the width for the roof.
Making it widder and I will have to add support beams. =(  Plus I'm almost out
of white.  This ship uses a LOT of white. =/

But I'll give it a try this weekend and see if I can expand the cockpit by 4
studs wide and see what it would look like.  It would be nice to be able to have
access to the cockpit from the command center.  But that required a bigger
model.

-AHui