 Star Wars / 16771
16770  |  16772
Subject:
Dominator-class Imperial Heavy Cruiser
Newsgroups:
lugnet.starwars, lugnet.space
Date:
Mon, 14 Jun 2004 18:53:32 GMT
Highlighted:
! (details)

Greetings again, fellow imperial LEGO Grand Moffs, Admirals and Dark Jedi all
across the galaxy! ;)

In order to make crushing bothersome rebel scum a less tedious and even more
enjoyable task, I added new units to my fleet. You may have already noticed the
medium Imperial Strike Cruiser. For dealing with rampaging hordes of rebellous
starfighters, the LANCER-frigate enters the stage. And for more serious
firepower, I now have the DOMINATOR-class heavy cruiser at my disposal. Think of
it as a smaller version (650 meters) of the mighty (and accordingly costly)
IMPERIAL-class Star Destroyer (1.600 meters) - designed to be produced at small
costs and thus ideally suited for Moffs of smaller imperial sectors.
Long life the Emperor!

Your Darth Primus ;)
http://www.BrickCommander.com

The Dominator at Brickshelf:

Design notes:
Well ok, the DOMINATOR may not be the most original creation of all times. First
and foremost, it is a (much) smaller version of the notorious ISD-set availible
from LEGO. When I was looking for a larger ship class than the Strike Cruise to
build in ISD-scale (but still smaller than the VICTORY-class SD), I stumbled
across the 600-meter large Interdictor cruiser in the STAR WARS sourcebook
"Imperial vehicles" (and in other sources too). The bulging half-spheres on its
hull (gravity well projectors?) didn’t make it look too appealing though.
Mentioned was that the Empire based several heavy cruiser designs on this
particular chassis, which basically IS that of a small Star Destroyer. Designs
like the 650 meter large Dominator-class, for example. Now THAT was what I was
looking for! :)

So, I "just" had to miniaturize the hull of the bigger LEGO ISD, copying the
general design ideas and building techniques, while finding new ways of doing
things whereever necessary.  Some problems occured due to limited space in- and
outsside of the model when connecting the hull plates to the frame (durned
magnets!!). But I think I eventually solved it neatly.

Unfortunately there was no visual reference whatsoever to the superstructure,
and I didn’t want to completely make something up. Simply copying the SD’s
command tower would make the Dominator look like the Imperial-SD built to a
smaller scale, an effect I did not desire. So I took the "command tower" from
above mentioned INTERDICTOR-cruiser (including all the antennas) and added some
minor additional details (sloped plates at the front sides, the small spheres on
top). I believe it’s different enough to alter this ships appearance
sufficiently, without diverging too much from the typical SD-superstructure
everybody knows. Hope you like it a little bit.
At least, now THIS is a (baby) Star Destroyer fitting a shelf, unlike it’s
bigger brother! ;)

Additional note: No ISD LEGO-set was harmed for the creation of this model