 Star Wars / 16410
16409  |  16411
Subject:
Review of set 4492 Mini Star Destroyer
Newsgroups:
lugnet.reviews, lugnet.starwars
Date:
Tue, 2 Dec 2003 19:37:45 GMT

Set: 4492 Mini Star Destroyer
Price: $6.99 US
Piece count: 86
Age: 7+

Model: The main model is about a perfect as one could hope for in this scale. The only complaint I have is a binocular (NOT Bionicle) piece on the top front of the model. Take that off and it looks great. This is probably my new favorite display model Star Wars set.

Pieces: Lots of awesome wing peices in this set. Including a new (to me at least) wing piece that is 12 long and goes from 1 wide to three wide with a single diagonal edge all the way back. (one left and one right wing are included in the set) There are 3 pairs of classic space wings, 2 grey 1 dark grey.

The Colors: Ok as a display model this set is awesome. As a parts pack this set would have been awesome if it matched. This set uses the new 2004 grey replacement colors. The new grey looks almost pink compared to original grey. It clashes horribly with original grey. It’s almost like they tried to make it neon grey. Castle fans will be dissapointed because it won’t even make a good “stone” effect by mixing the colors. The new dark grey is more blue than original dark grey. That actually works very well next to both original grey colors. I would have probably purchased several dozen copies of this set for the pieces if it used the orignal greys, however with the new greys I doubt I will get more that the one I picked up.

Overall: This set is a must buy for people who want a display Star Destroyer but might not be that interesting to the builders unless they want the new neon grey.

-Mike Petrucelli