 Star Wars / 16134
    Re: Droopy Star Destroyer —David Gregory
    I had my Star Destroyer together for over 5 months. I did notice the long Technic beams bending in the frame. When I took it apart, I thought that some might stay that way, but none of them did. The more I disassembled, the straighter they got. (...) (21 years ago, 4-Sep-03, to lugnet.starwars)

        Re: Droopy Star Destroyer —Kelly McKiernan
   (...) That's good news... I just checked my beams, but unfortunately four are still warped, although I don't think quite as badly as they were before. If/when I rebuild, I'll make sure to use Jordan's reversing suggestion, if the beams fit that is. (...) (21 years ago, 4-Sep-03, to lugnet.starwars)

        Re: Droopy Star Destroyer —David Laswell
   (...) ABS plastic has "memory", so if you can heat it up to the right temperature range, it will relax back into its original shape without slagging. From our experience at work, you'd need to start around 150 degrees and gradually work upwards from (...) (21 years ago, 5-Sep-03, to lugnet.starwars)

        Re: Droopy Star Destroyer —Christian Allred
   (...) bend (...) If you did this enough times though, wouldn't the beam eventually fatigue and break? Or is ABS resilient to repeated stressing within a limited range of motion? (21 years ago, 5-Sep-03, to lugnet.starwars)

        Re: Droopy Star Destroyer —David Laswell
   (...) No, eventually it might start to show stress, but it should last a lot longer than if you just set it on a table and leave it alone until pieces start popping off. The more often you flip it, the less stress the beams should experience, as (...) (21 years ago, 6-Sep-03, to lugnet.starwars)

        Re: Droopy Star Destroyer —Kelly McKiernan
   (...) Seeing as this suggestion would require a substantial rebuild for each flip (the beams in question are buried deep within the triangular support frames), I think I'll stick with the original plan and continue with the Galactica, at least (...) (21 years ago, 8-Sep-03, to lugnet.starwars)