 Star Wars / 15094
Re: MINI's in my hands, WOW!!
Newsgroups:
lugnet.starwars
Date:
Wed, 8 Jan 2003 22:32:33 GMT

In lugnet.starwars, David Simmons writes:
Hey all,

Just got the first wave of four MINI's today at my local Target (4484, 4485,
4486, and 4487).  Ummmmm, WOW!  Double WOW!  While the ISD represents the

When I'd seen the TIE Bomber and Geonosian Fighter and Jabba's Message &
Prize at one Toys R Us and the AT-TE and Skyhopper at another Toys R Us, but
had YET to see any minis there or at Target, I got tired of waiting and
ordered two of the full kits from LEGO Shop at Home for $36. Definitely
worth it.

grand scale that Lego can accomplish, these sets clearly represent the
possibilites of nano-style building.  With the exception of the pod racers,

Whooooa, why with the exception of the pod racers? I'm not a huge fan of pod
racers, I have no Ep I sets featuring them, etc. etc. But I liked the mini
ones. And aside from the lack of cables from the cockpits to the engines,
they actually look BETTER than the minifig scale ones, IMO.

every set minimally yet beautifully represents the ship it's based on.  I
can't single out any one in particular, they are all fantastically realized.
The set design is superb!

And what a fantastic selection of parts!  A few highlights:

1x1 tiles in trans-smoke and dark-red.
2x2 trans-clear radar dishes.
Plain orange minifig heads.
2x2 orange radar dishes.
1x1 cone in orange and sand blue.
1x2 plate in trans-smoke.
Trans-orange lightsaber blades.
Sand blue droid bodies w/excellent generic decoration.
Plain 1x2 trans-dark blue tile.
1x2 tile w/center stud in sand green and dark red.
1x2 plate w/1x4 side plate in dark red.

Hmmm. Thinking about all those extra parts, I'm tempted to get another pair
of kits. #;-}>

ALL the decorated tiles.  These are especially nice!  Despite the fact that
they're designed for the specific ship, their small size makes them much
more flexible.  I think my only criticism is that I would've used a 2x2
round smooth-bottom plate for the base of the snowspeeder rather than a 2x2
plate.  It doesn't sit up so high that way.  Otherwise, they are super cool
and just cry out to be swooshed!

And just make it bigger, period. For one thing, they coulda used the 4x2
little angled plates instead of the 3x2, to make it a bit bigger. though the
width would still have to be gained somehow.

Can't wait until the next wave comes!

Me neither. Anyone got any predictions aside from the AT-AT?

For one thing, there needs to be some Ep VI stuff, since the first four sets
were I, II, IV, and V. But what? teeeeny tiny speeder bikes? I'm not so sure
that would work. and yes both the AT-AT and AT-ST were in VI, but they first
appeared in V.

So my guesses are the Imperial Shuttle and the TIE Interceptor, maybe. A
mini Nebulon-B Frigate (from the end of V and the battle in VI) would be
nice to match up with the mini Corellian Corvette from the ISD set.

And other classic possibilities are obvious A, B, and Y wings, since there's
so many TIEs already.

Prequel possibilities screams out more pod racers, but I'd also like to see
a mini republic gunship, maybe a mini AT-TE.

But a mini ISD would really be icing on the mini AT-AT cake!

-Greg "Fox" Cook