 Star Wars / 14877
Re: Redesigning the Star Destroyer
Newsgroups:
lugnet.starwars
Date:
Fri, 20 Dec 2002 05:52:25 GMT

In lugnet.starwars, James DiBenedetto writes:
Has anybody out there who's got a Star Destroyer experimented with some
reengineering to make the thing more stable?

Actually, I was pretty impressed by how strongly the magnets seem to
hold...while still allowing for relatively easy removal of the plate
sections for internal access. The only piece I've had fall off while I was
holding it was one of the back plates holding the engines!

The things I HAVE reworked are the docking bay, adding front face, back
face, sides, and a ceiling oriented studs up so I can easily attach the RBR
(which I modified with a lower gun and upper radar0). Now it can be drawn up
and dock (however unwillingly  :P ) in the bay. It sure helped to have those
large hull plates easy to remove! It also helped that my set included many
extra 2x4 angled plates to make the front and back faces of the bay match
the angles of the lower hull! :)

I also closed the gap in the hull between the display stand legs (this was
simple, just a one-stud shift of the big wing pieces towards the centerline
on each side...I still can't figure out why LEGO didn't do this to begin
with). I also added a few grey bits to cover the black gaps in the front
face of the superstructure below and in front of the bridge. Finally, I
modified the tractor beam assembly (x-shaped thingy on top of the bridge) to
sit flat in the undeployed position seen in Empire and Jedi (or more
correctly, I made a second version of the structure to lie flat so I can
interchange the up and down versions freely).

No pics, though, as I no longer have access to the digital camera from work. :(

-Brian

ps Just remembered, I also switched the dk. grey 1x2s w/one stud on top and
the 2x3 dk. grey plates so that the center engine is now lined up exactly
with the two outer ones.