 Star Wars / 14603
Re: I finished my Star Destroyer!
Newsgroups:
lugnet.starwars
Date:
Sun, 17 Nov 2002 10:45:50 GMT

In lugnet.starwars, Bruce Hietbrink writes:
Hey guys,

Thanks for your report.  Did you, or anyone else who has this model, take
pictures at variousl stages of construction?  I'd love to see things like
the framework and the way the magnets hold on the panels, etc.

Bruce

I'm sorry, but two fact stopped me from taking 'in progress' pictures:
1) the quality of my camera
2) the excitement of the building. No way was I inserting pauses in the
building process. Well, only to eat, to sleep and to work. No use building
the ship and falling over dead, or having the guys from the bank taking it
away because I failed to pay my bills :-)

But to describe the guts of the ship: two large triangular shapes, build
with a lot of 1x16 l.grey technic beams form the basis. On this, you build
four covers (two on the bottom, two on the top) to close the ships main hull.
Oh yeah, the two black beams on which the ship rests, are connected to the
inner structure. You CAN remove these, but you'll have to disassemble a
large part of the ship to do this.
The super structure is build in two stages, which both are placed on the
ship without actually attaching it. Once you have build the ship, you'll
know why.
http://www.brickshelf.com/cgi-bin/gallery.cgi?i=274448 shows the hull and
the first superstructure in place.
Please note: the white/brown/black space alien in the background is not
included in the set :-)

The magnets only hold the covers to the inner structure along the middle of
the hull. Along the outer sites (the two sides that run towards the front),
the covers are held in place via 'normal' Lego connectivity (i.e.
brick-on-brick).
The magents are connected to the structure and the covers with the same lego
pieces that were used in the M:TRON line.

If I get a good digital camera soon (Sinterklaas???), I will take the ship
apart again and post more/better pictures.

/\/\ark "next: the RBR..or the ATAT? Or the ATET? Or.." de Kock