 Star Wars / 14583
14582  |  14584
Subject:
I finished my Star Destroyer!
Newsgroups:
lugnet.starwars
Date:
Fri, 15 Nov 2002 15:10:31 GMT

After 9 hours and 40 minutes (counting from the moment I opened the box) my
Imperial Star Destroyer is finished!  I didn't build it in one go, and I
have to admit that I was glad that it was finished...

Good things about the model:
- It's a fantastic model!
- It's huge!
- It's really well designed.
- It never gets boring when building; there is enough variation.
- When you have finished it you are looking at it thinking "Did I really
build that?"

Minor bad things about the model:
- This is the most physically painful model to build; my fingers still hurt
from pressing all those plates together, and there really are A LOT of
plates to press together...  I tell you, after you have finished it you will
have sore fingers!
- The instruction booklet (228 pages in the A3 format) is not bound well
enough together; this does allow it to stay open on each page, but when I
had finished the model, my booklet had gotten loose from the cover...  I
fear that if I ever build the model again, I might just have some more loose
pages in the booklet.
- You need a huge building table!  I built it on my 3 by 7 foot dining room
table, and I barely had the space to do it!  The manual, when opened, takes
up a lot of space; you then need enough space for the model to be placed,
and then you still have the 3000+ pieces...
- In the manual some of the grey pieces are printed very light, so you start
looking for white pieces...  When in doubt, go for the light grey pieces...

Other remarks:
- It is the only model I know you have to disassemble in order to move it; I
had a special table for it when I was finished, and I had to move it from my
dining room table.  But when it is assembled, it is very hard to move, so I
had to remove the tower and the bridge from the model (these two pieces are
not fixed on the model, so they're easy to remove) and then I could grab the
interior structure and lift it towards my 'dedicated table'.  The model
weighs pretty heavy, so it isn't easy to move...
- If you are busy on the model a couple of hours in a row, you will make
mistakes.  When I was finished, I had 'the usual assortment of spare parts',
but also 2 1x10 dark grey plates, 2 black technic pins, and two blue technic
1/2 pins left, as well as a 1x4 grey plate.  I am pretty sure I must have
missed them somewhere...

A little advice:
- Always look under your instruction booklet when you are looking for
something and can't find it immediately.  I have been pulling my hairs out
looking for a piece which had moved under the manual...  If you have a
really really big table, you won't have that trouble, but you'll see that
the more space you have, the better.
- Try not to lose your sanity!  After having finished the main structure and
the bottom, it still seemed I had as many loose parts on my table as when I
started; I just seemed that it would never get finished...  I think I will
need a definite non-Lego break ;-P

Conclusion:
- A very fun and rewarding building experience
- An excellent model!!

Have fun building your Star Destroyer!

Carl, who hopes his fingers will stop hurting soon...