 Star Wars / 13460
Re: The Empire IS good.
Newsgroups:
lugnet.starwars
Date:
Fri, 14 Jun 2002 16:11:41 GMT

In lugnet.starwars, Jason Spears writes:
In lugnet.starwars, Evan Butzlaff writes:
Quite a few people look on Star Wars in a perspective I find strange.  They
say the rebels are good, but really, I find they aren't.  I see them as a
rag-tag band of terrorists.

It's not terrorism if you are overthrowing a cruel and unfair government.  The
USA was founded on a similar principle.

What were they going to offer to the galaxy when the empire fell?

The return of the galactic senate.  A government where everyone had a say. It
may not have been perfect, but certainly better than what Palpatine had to
offer.

It seemed the Empire was doing a bangup job.

Bang up is indeed the word.  BANG!! A planet gone.  And it would have
continued.  Anybody who got in Palpatine's way was removed.  Note his attempted
assignation of Senator Amidala.  She was going to vote in a way that he
disagreed with, so he saw his way to have her removed.

No one seems to be enslaved towards the empire.

No one human anyhow.  Palpatine had a sumpreme dislike of anyone not human.
Calamari and Wookies are just a few of the species (and worlds) that he
enslaved.

Conscription is justifiable.

Perhaps, but it is questionable whether he was doing any of that, the
evidence seems to point towards the Storm Troopers being clones.

The Imperials are well armed.  The rebels?  Well, they smuggle weapons.

Because they wan't to restore the government that Palpatine destroyed.

The Imperials have a fleet, all different classes of ships that they have more
than a few of, like Star Destroyers.  They have plenty of those!

And so if; Those with the miltary might, obviously it should be the ones in
power?  Those ships were the fleet of the Republic before Palpatine turned it
into the Empire.  Some of the Star Destroyers will become part the New
Republic's fleet once the Empire is dismantled. Kuat Drive Yards will produce
ships for whoever is paying, so the New Republic can commision new ships as
they are needed.

What does the rebellion offer?  A few Mon Calamari cruises!  And like I have
stated before, what government can they offer?

Restoration of the Galactic Senate and government body that ruled for thousands
of years in peace before the Empire.  Restoration of a government that worked
so well that it didn't even need a star fleet to maintain that peace.

Exactly who is going to run it? Luke?  Leah?

As a matter of fact, Leah was indeed elected (note the word elected, hence
implying that there was a choice in the matter) Supreme Chancellor of the New
Republic.  She was trained as a child to be a diplomat and politician.  She was
certainly qualified and had the love and admiration of a now free galaxy.  A
galaxy that is free to choose, and indeed some did choose not be part of the
New Republic.  The Corporate Sector and the rememants of the Empire for example.

What will they produce?  It seems that it would be another Empire of some sort
would have to be in order, but what would happen when another rebellion
starts? What will work, because the senate was corrupted.

Again it will restore a government system that worked without a sumpreme ruler
(ala the Emperor) for thousands of years.

There was no turmoil going on in the empire, just a strict rule of the
Emperor.  Does anyone see it the way I do?

No turmoil?????  I don't call destruction of planets and ruling thru fear to be
all roses and smiles that you seem to.  So NO, I don't see it the way you do,
but perhaps Castro or Saddam would.

~Evan Butzlaff

-Jason

Jason Spears
MichLUG - http://www.michlug.org/
Lego Page - http://www.ozbricks.com/brickcentral/
BrickLink Store - http://www.bricklink.com/store.asp?p=jrspears
This all DEPENDS on who's point of view you look at this thru?
The american revolution WAS a rebellions and terroists act FROM THE POINT OF
VIEW of England.  The US did not see it that way.  So who is right? The
winner, off course.

The american civil war WAS a rebellions and terroists act FROM THE POINT OF
VIEW of the NORTH (Northern sides US states @ the time).  The South did not
see it that way.  So who is right? The winner, off course.

World War II was seen as a bad time in history with the genocide of the jews
but this is history written FROM THE POINT OF VIEW of the allies, agian the
winners.

The drop of two a-bombs was seen as an American Vistory agianst Japan.  We
saves millions of GI lifes by NOT invading Japan.  Agian history written
FROM THE POINT OF VIEW OF THE WINNER.

You get my point.  Now put yourself in the shoes of the losers?

a) Your a small child in England during the pre-colonial times.  The world
constitues of Eurpoe and the Far East.  The Atlantic IS THE END OF THE WORLD.
Your country (ENLGAND) is very rich because it has land/ownership ALL OVER
the world.  That is the norm of the time.  {...time passes...} you are a
grown man and their is conflict in one of the britsih colonies (US States).
They don't want to pay taxes!  They don't want to support the Britsih crown!
What arrogant people!  Everyone pays taxes, everyone loves the royal family!
They think they are better than us becuase they are on the other side of the
ocean!  Nonsence!

b) You are a small child in 1945 in Japan.  You live with your grandpapa in
the hillside near Hiroshima.  The view of the city is nice form here but you
worry because your beloved emporor you read in the news paper is not feeling
good lately.  The war is taxing his system. I hope my grandpapa comes back
from the city soon. You wonder what will happen when the america monsters
invade your land. Will they let me see my grandpa?  Will the traditions of
japan will be upheld or will they try to instil their way on us?  Will they
walk into my grandpa's house with their boots on and not leave them at the
door?  Wait what is that? A comet?  It's so bright, I can't see...
HOT... HOT.... I'm so hot what is happening....(all turns to black as you
hit the ground)... [the A-bomb just exploded]

[20+ years later]
You have learned to 'see' the world as a blind person.  You are constanly
sick and have no hair.  You live in a community hostipal home for the sick.
Your grandpapa DIED in the A-bomb blast that America dropped.  You have no
clue what happen to your house as their was notihng felt of it.  Dones't
matter everyday for the past 20 years has been a fight to survie.  Why?  Why
commit such atrosites?

So was the EMPIRE bad?  Thousands of people DIED in the desturcuion of the
1st death star and what did the rebellion do?  It celebrated!  Their were
doctors, maintence people, cooks, engrs, etc..  a lot of non-military people
who worked in the government of the EMPIRE.  Is it wrong to work for your
government?  That maintence worker on Level 259 - Section IV Floor 4 made a
decent living.  he joined the Imperial Maintence Union and was able to make
a good life for himself. Better than anything he could do on Tantoiee. He
had a wife, two kids in school (a public school) because his wage did not
allow him a private school but his kids went to school.  He was planning on
taking  his family on a vactaion to The 9 Blue seas on planet XYZ next
season.  Not NO MORE!

In the end there is NO RIGHT OR WRONG!  It all depends on YOU, your beliefs,
your values, your sence of right/wrong.  The bomber that blows himself up in
the middle of an Isreal mall is he right or wrong?  Automatically, the
USnews calls him a terrorist.  But what is the real story?  Why did he do
it?  What drove him over the edge that would make him do it?  The US news
doesn't tell you the other side.  In one instance a group of isreal army
personnel drove into a refugee camp and began killing everyone in site!
Their reason... we taught we saw a terrorist.  In that killing the wife and
child of the bomber were gunned down.  Gunned down inside a refugge camp!
Is that enough for you to go over the endge?  You have lost your house
becuase the isreal army moved in and claimed that a terroirst was in the
area, You make shoes for a living!  You just wantex to be left alone.  Now
we are sharing a small hut with 5 other families, you lost your business and
they have killed your family for being in the street!  What kind of crazy
worlkd is this....

Okay I've ranted enough, in the end all I know for certain is there can
never be WORLD PEACE on earth UNLESS you remove ALL HUMANS or LEAVE only 1
human.

-AHui

Moving this post to lugnet.off-topic.debate