 Star Wars / 12492
12491  |  12493
Subject:
7143 Jedi Starfighter review
Newsgroups:
lugnet.starwars
Date:
Sun, 17 Feb 2002 06:24:10 GMT

Picked up a couple at the Mall of America LEGO Imagination Center today and
built one right away of course.

Box shots:
http://www.brickshelf.com/gallery/jaradtke/SW2002/7143box.jpg
http://www.brickshelf.com/gallery/jaradtke/SW2002/7143side.jpg

Overall ship design is pretty cool - can't wait to see it on the big screen
(3 months!)  Nice use of the new slope types - 2 black 1x6 inverted, left
and right white 2x6, left and right white printed 3x12.  Nice click hinge
landing gear that folds up out of the way.

Large and small wings (1 pair ea.), and 2x4 wedge plates (3 pair) in dark
red. One pair 2x4 wedge plates in white too.  The wings are connected to a
4x4 hinge plate with a little under-clearance to get the angled look.  The
lime green (I'm pretty sure it's lime green) shows up in a pair of wedge
bricks and the Technic bricks that hold the tail sections in place slightly
offset to create the space for the tailfin.  Some people were worried that
this tailfin was a bit of cardboard or somesuch.  Never fear, it is a large
pirate flag.

All designs are printed - no stickers.  I don't remember ever getting an
extra lightsaber handle before but that was the only extra tidbit in there
this time.

Obi-Wan's hair is rust - same as the handful of bricks in the Yoda sculpture
and various DUPLO parts.  Anakin's hair is definitely lighter in the
pictures seen so far and I'm thinking must be burnt orange.  Cool either way
to get standard hair designs in new colors!

For all that the canopy is Jack Stone-ish it doesn't look too bad.  However,
it is simply too small.  There is a plate width of open space along the
sides in this model.  Any plate intruding under the canopy would get in the
way of the minifig arms.  His head already hits the top so there's no
sitting him up higher.  And there is no leaning him back since the rear of
the canopy is enclosed and tappered to boot.  It's just is not well designed
for minifig compatibility.  (Someone make a note to try substituting a
B-wing canopy - I don't have one handy.)

Nonetheless, it's got me excited for the rest of the line and counting the
days until 4/23!

John