 Star Wars / 12286
Re: 2002 SW Sets - impressions
Newsgroups:
lugnet.starwars
Date:
Wed, 9 Jan 2002 21:33:16 GMT

I used the Ewok Attack catapault for my Castle themed things.  Now to get
working on my Space theme.

In lugnet.starwars, Bryan Hodges writes:
Well, we finally got the 2002 sets here in Colorado Springs, CO.  So far
I've managed to pickup 5 of the sets, with hopes on getting the rest shortly.

The sets I've gotten so far are: 7119 - Cloud Car, 7139 - Ewok Attack, 7200
- Final Duel 1, 7201 - Final Duel 2, and 8010 - Darth Vader Technic.

The technic Vader is definately the coolest of the bunch... the model is
absolutely stunning IMO.  It really makes up for the somewhat shoddy technic
Stormtrooper.  I particularly love the detail in the head.

I have mixed feelings about the Final Duel sets... I'll be buying a whole
bunch of 7201s... with a Stormtrooper and Imperial officer minifig, you
can't go wrong... plus the parts from a bunch of these sets can go towards
making a proper Emporer's Throne room.  7200 on the other hand is, to put it
mildly, lame.  It's a great buy if you want more Darth Vader or Emporer
Palpatine minifigs, and there are a few desireable parts... but if you've
already got the minifigs it's really not worth it.

The Ewok Attack set is pretty sweet, with the new stubby legs ("stubbies")
for the Ewoks, a Stormtrooper and a Scout Trooper, plus a pretty sweet hang
glider.  The catapult is pretty unimpressive, and I prefer the old
speederbikes to the new ones, but beggers can't be choosy.

The Cloud Car is nifty... the model isn't all that impressive, but for $10
it's better than I expected.  This set is great for parts though... hinges,
panels, the new "spaceship" slopes, etc.  Lobot is a nice addition, though I
must admit I would've preffered Lando, or even a Cloud Car pilot...

I like the new sets.  With that said, though, I must admit I was left
feeling a bit empty.  The first couple of waves of Star Wars sets were
great, with plenty of larger sets to keep me satisfied.  Now there's just a
bunch of smaller sets... The obvious gem is the technic Vader... but it's
really not enough to tide me over until Episode II...