 Star Wars / 11990
11989  |  11991
Subject:
Quick review of the Rebel Blockade Runner
Newsgroups:
lugnet.starwars
Date:
Tue, 6 Nov 2001 08:56:53 GMT

I've built it, and I'm impressed. I put together a few pics while I was
building it using the Vision Command, sorry for the poor quality.

The best thing about this set is the minimal use of stickers. There are
large ones one each side just above the laser turrets that cross multiple
bricks, 6 engines have stickers too (but they are split where the 2 parts
they cross come together so you can take the engines apart easily), the
discs on the sides of the bridge have one apiece, and there's 1 on the radar
dish. Then just 2 on the display stand, and that's it. It took me a while to
find the rubber bands for the sides of the bridge, they were on what looks
like a part specially made for wrapping things around which is not used in
the RBR (see a pic at http://www.brickshelf.com/cgi-bin/gallery.cgi?i=81500)

Just 2 problems. Firstly one of the 6 dishes with the TIE Fighter pattern
that are used on the engines was blank, so I guess that must have slipped in
by mistake. I'll call S@H later and see if they can sort that out. Secondly,
the engine stands - I think they could do with a plate underneath each, as
they seem to be exerting some downward force on the joint with the main body
of the ship. It was very awkward to get them attached as they didn't appear
to line up exactly, and I'm worried that it might cause some stress problems
in the centre section. I'm going to add some plates tonight and see if that
helps.

Overall the model is excellent. It's just slightly longer than it's box.
Watch out when trying to move it though - the engine section is much heavier
than the rest of the ship and very difficult to get a good grip on, and
you'll probably end up knocking a couple of the lower engines off. The front
section stand is balanced nicely to support just the bridge area by itself,
but is almost useless once the engines are attached as the balance shifts to
between the stand for the centre section and the engines. I have the RBR
sitting on top of my old stereo and it's too long, but the front stand hangs
in mid air without any problem - I can push the nose down a good inch or so
before things start to strain, and letting go just causes the RBR to level
out.

This model will take centre stage on my new display shelving once I've put
it up, and is now my favourite LEGO model having knocked the UCS X-Wing off
the top spot :)

Dan