 Star Wars / 10690
10689  |  10691
Subject:
How to get a UCS X-wing cheap
Newsgroups:
lugnet.starwars
Date:
Wed, 24 Jan 2001 15:08:29 GMT

Someone was asking a week or so ago about how to get a UCS X-Wing on sale.
Here's how I did it.

At TRU, I found one in a clearance bin. It had been opened.  I remember reading
somewhere (I think this newsgroup) that there should be 20 or 21 bags of parts.
Well, there were 20 bags and a few loose parts.  Plus a sticker sheet, the
standard catalogs, and instruction book.  It was priced at $39.90.

I went over to the standard LEGO area and looked around to see if I could find
an open box to compare the parts & make sure they were (probably) all there.  I
found another UCS X-wing, but this one was in MUCH worse shape.  Half built,
the rest of the parts in ONE Ziplock baggie.  Stickers and instructions were
present, though.  That one was marked $109.90.

Well, My wife and I went to the service desk and explained that one was open,
the other was VERY probably incomplete, and could we cut a deal for both?  They
gave us the better of the two at the marked $39.90, and marked the other one to
$19.90!  When we got home, I built the first one, it was complete.  The second
one we disassembled and counted the parts, getting 1294 out of the
box-indicated 1304.  Now, there may be parts already assembled that we didn't
realize were assembled, and if the instructions and stickers count as pieces,
we are even closer.

Either way, $20 for almost 1300 pieces seemed like a good deal.  And if I
actually have 2 complete X-wings, EVEN BETTER.

My point, check the clearance bins, you never know.  And if you find one that
looks like it has been returned, talk to a manager, it can't hurt, and in my
experience, they want to get rid of the stuff they wouldn't be able to sell
otherwise.

Rob