 Star Wars / 10371
Re: Lando- we can build him!
Newsgroups:
lugnet.starwars
Date:
Mon, 25 Dec 2000 19:12:03 GMT

Were you also
trying to paint yellow heads a pinkish-tan colour?

In short , no.  That is only because I don't buy into the whole "yellow" is
not "White" theory.  But if we are interested in believing the "Lego"
version of the story, " that Yellow is used , not to represent caucasian
skin color, but a "Neutral" shade so as not to be offensive,  I'd like to
point out what a load of manure that type of thinking is, let alone the fact
that it is patently untrue even in the world of Lego.
Check out the "red" lego Indians in set #215 aptly titled "RED Indians".  In
case we think this type of thinking has changed over there at Lego, check
out the different races available for play over in Duplo land! Caucasian
families, Asian families, African families, even hispanic families!!!  And
don't forget the Duplo Coke commercial "World Family" #2772.  I guess aliens
don't count either, as Jar Jar, Watto, and Chewie are allowed to retain
their own distinctive coloring.  Coloring is important because it is a
portion of what makes us who we are.
I'm not saying anything about race here other than the fact that races and
colors exist, and if we don't acknowledge them, we are missing out on
opportunities to celebrate the rich heritage we as a people (mankind) have.
This is our history, who we are.  Have you ever met someone from Mexico who
is ashamed of their heritage?  I'd say no, in fact I'd say that we as people
are all pretty darned proud of who we are corporately, and as individuals.
I'm pretty certain that we'd all agree that there is nothing wrong with
being proud of where you come from, unless it comes at the expense of
others, even your own race.  Equality isn't about forgetting what colors the
people of the world are available in, it's about noticing the differences
between us and not letting it change the kindness and thoughtfulness we
extend to others.  Fundamentaly this is not about making the world better
for us by ignoring our differences, it's about making us better for the
world by challenging ourselves to grow out of our comfort zones.
Am I saying I want more "red" indians?  Not at all.  If Native Americans
were really "red" or "Indian" well then sure, but "red " is more often than
not used as a derogatory term.  And Fire engine red as a color is a bit
much.  Nope, I don't know how to rectify the situation either, unless we all
decide that for the last 20 years we've been playing with "Chinese"
Mini-figs, and yes, the yellow would be a bit much.
So since I ,being White as a daisy, have to sort out my own cosmology for my
own Lego world, Yellow will continue to be any sort of shade I want it to
be, mostly white, and latino, and yes, of course, lando will always be the
coolest space brother there is.  (apologies to Captain Panaka)
Jon Furman (mostly German)