 Star Wars / 10212
Re: TIE Interceptor, brief but slobbery review
Newsgroups:
lugnet.starwars
Date:
Mon, 11 Dec 2000 00:47:34 GMT

In lugnet.starwars, David Simmons writes:
Hey all,

I was finally able to acquire this set in a trade and I think it is the best
SW set so far.  Unlike the X-Wing, the color scheme is uncluttered with
little specks of green and red.  Just the sinister beauty of dark gray and
black with blue accents.  Most importantly, it's very stable and well
structured model.  I lost a lot of enthusiasm for keeping my X-Wing together
since I couldn't manage to reengineer the gearbox so that the wings would be
straight when closed.  I was also really put off by the duck-like flapping
the wings would do whenever I attempted to "swoosh" the ship around.

However, it can still be done!  (Just don't try swooshing very hard with
only one hand!)

However, the TIE model is perfect in just about every way.  The only
criticisms I can think of are that it's almost too darn big to swoosh!  And
to this day, I will never understand how they can keep getting the laser
color wrong. They just seem incapable of getting this right.

Those little red lights on the bottom of the cockpit aren't lasers, they're
sensors.  The lasers on the Tie Interceptor are on the four wing tips.  This
was one of the improvements over the Tie/ln.  They (TLC) labeled the sensor
tips wrong in the Instruction booklet, that's probably why you thought they
were lasers.

Also, it's
very easy to switch how the cockpit opens so it doesn't come down on the
lasers and snap them off.  You can just swap the blue 1x4 brick with the
sidestuds for the dark gray 1x4 brick on top.

Smart, I'll have to go switch that on mine.

  They could have provided some
more interesing computer panels for the interior.  I'm sure I can make some
better substitutions from my collection.

I thought the control panels were done pretty well.  I only wish that they
had put some inverse sloped computer panels in on the top of the ship.

But aside from that, WOW!  What a great model and parts bonanza!  When this
baby goes on sale or clearance, I'll definitely be picking up a few more.

Ditto!!!

Dave

Kyle Henneberque