 Star Wars / 10113
10112  |  10114
Subject:
First Impressions: SW 2001
Newsgroups:
lugnet.starwars
Date:
Tue, 5 Dec 2000 01:53:36 GMT

Droid Escape Pod - A neat set for the price, complete with unusual rounded
plates, and large radar dish.  However, one must pry open parts in order to
place mini-figs inside...I figured it would have an opening hatch.  Oh well.

TIE Fighter - Pleasantly surprising with a different approach to the
structure of the cockpit.  The front printed "window" is attached to a
hinge, allowing the entire piece to open for ingress/egress.  The stand that
is included to simulate the launching mode was a nice thought, and will be
more effective with a home-made hangar.  The minifigs are really cool, of
course.

Imperial Shuttle - Cool set, but I'm a little disappointed in the proportions.
The shuttle is my fav SW vehicle, so I'm not happy unless it's perfect.  So
I bought two, and will eventually make a larger shuttle from both sets.  The
rear hatch opens to reveal a sliding ramp similar in operation to the droid
deployment rack in set 7184 MTT.  The angle of the folding wings are
cleverly designed with technic parts, minimizing complexity and maximizing
strength.
All the printed parts are nicely done.  The prize of this set is, of course,
the minifig complement.  The royal guards have cool printed detail.  The
shuttle pilot, although plain, has thoughtful detail as well.  Palpatine
wrinkly as ever.  I did notice that the hinges (plate hinges, not the click
hinges) that operate the rear hatch don't "pop" into place very well, and
come apart when you work the hatch - almost as if the consistency of the
plastic is more rubbery.  This is also true of the hatch hinges on the TIE.
Tell me if I'm splitting hairs here.

AT-ST - Ummm...well...good for parts and a Chewie! Actually, this set has
four plate/pegs I guess you can call them (I should have referred to the
parts ref for this one, sorry) The pieces are the ones with half a technic
peg sticking straigh up from a 2X2 plate in dark grey.  Great for mech builders.
The rear opening hatch is also noteworthy.  This set gets a high mark for
printed pieces as well - useful for any space vehicle.

Droid Carrier - Didn't bother