 Space / 9780
Re: "Galaxy Enforcer" name retracted
Newsgroups:
lugnet.space
Date:
Wed, 11 Jul 2001 02:11:00 GMT

In lugnet.space, William P. (Pat) Hough writes:
JA Long writes:

"I am not impressed, however, that you have used some names for some of the
vessels for my LEGO Space theme but then again, you did not know that I was
using those names so let me help you find new names for your space craft and
help you build your base if you have any problems with your space base."

=========================

Tell ya what. Since it means that much to you, I'll withdraw the name. The damn
thing is scrap now anyhow, because I was right when I stated in the original
email that it was a serious drain on my brick resources. I'll even go out to
Brickshelf(TM) and change the name of the folder.

Anybody in possession of even a fraction of their marbles should realize that I
never intended to copy the name of the ship from anyone. In any event, by the
text of your first email, you indicated that this name had not been made
public. In my own twisted sense of logic, the name just seemed like a natural
to follow the Galaxy Explorer(R). In fact, I had "half" borrowed the name from
a Car Wars(TM) tabletop game me and my compadres had played years ago when the
Ford(TM) Explorer(R) first came out; we had insisted on using existing models.

The name means nothing to me; it is yours with my sincere compliments.

Folks, you'll recall some months ago when I first posted a MOC to LUGNET(TM). I
told you that I hadn't yet thought up a name for the thing and it really didn't
matter to me what it was called anyway, because in my little universe, MOCs are
made to be photographed and taken apart. This attitude owes its origins to my
opinion that arguments over names are, well, frivolous at best.

However, in the future, I ask to share in the basic right of AFOLs the world
over not to have to send out a new post to the General or Space newsgroups
everytime I want permission to use a name I thought of, just because it happens
to be in coincidence of someone else's idea. How about it?

Pat Hough, weary of battle

p.s. For benefit of WW, acknowledgements:

Brickshelf copyright 1998-2001 Kevin M. Loch
"Galaxy Explorer" is a registered TM of the LEGO Group.
"Car Wars" is a registered TM of Steve Jackson Games, Austin, Texas.
Ford is a TM of the Ford Motor Company.
"Ford Explorer" is a registered TM of the Ford Motor Company.
LUGNET is a TM of Todd S. Lehman and Suzanne D. Rich

I agree you 100%, Pat.

Anyways, I *still* liked your model.

That reminds me, here is an old Astro Lift Co. "Galaxy Enforcer" from long ago:

~Trev
Astro Lift Co.