 Space / 8738
8737  |  8739
Subject:
Back from a road trip...
Newsgroups:
lugnet.space
Date:
Thu, 17 May 2001 02:29:06 GMT

[Y'all haven't seen any MOCs from me in a while-- tying up classes last term
and then taking a road trip left little time for Lego. But it didn't take
long as soon as I got back. ]

Our exploration patrol went off without a hitch, and I'll have some pictures
up as soon as they're declassified by the Colonial Intelligence [read: when
I've built stuff...] Meantime, I decided to bring you some pictures of
another project from the Colonies.

While air-going shuttles seem to be common in the Core, industry in the
Colonies just isn't strong enough to support that kind of construction
yet-- but what they can do is build roads. After all, that technology
has been around since the days of the Roman Empire. And so, to get stuff
from point A to point B, we don't fly it-- we drive it. This particular
vehicle would probably be called a "Semi Truck", or an "Articulated
Lorry" if you're from one of the worlds colonized by the New British
Empire. This is the front half, called a "tractor" back in the day. Take
a look at it here:

While this truck shares many visual components with its 20th century
counterparts, they're only visual. This vehicle does not burn fossil
fuels, and the objects that look like a grille and smokestacks are
air intake and heat output modules, but otherwise clean. It does turn
out that by coincidence alone the truck-to-truck communications actually
use the same radio bandwidth of the old "CB"-- that's why the antennas
look the same length.

An early model would be a "sleeper cab"-- a bunk area behind the main
crew area. In this case, the bunk area is above and forward of the crew.
It's not huge, but it lets the second trucker get his 40 winks in.

[Builder's Note: The truck comes from two things. One, we all love
the arctic base wall and I wondered how else it could be used-- turns
out it makes a magnificent sunroof! It was _designed_ for SNOT use; check
it out for yourself. I noted the Rock Raider chassis in the same bin of
"parts too large to sort" and started futzing.

Second, having just spent nine days on the road putting 3,000 miles on
my truck, I saw a _lot_ of semis. I must have had semi on the brain.
The other thing I was likely to wind up with was an oil extractor; I
drove through Texas...

After scanning through LUGnet and noticing the discussion on doors and
hatches popped up, I hate to admit that this vehicle doesn't have one yet. :)

Photographer's note: Sorry, the pictures I generate still suck. I tried
to clean up the lighting some, but it seems a Mag-Lite is not the right
answer. :) I think the right answer is liable to be "get thee a digital
camera" :) ]

If I can clean up the pictures some I'll drop a note over to Paul to
enter it into the non-violent contest (though you know how those
truckers can be...).

-JDF
--
J.D. Forinash                                     ,-.
foxtrot@cc.gatech.edu                            ( <