 Space / 828
827  |  829
Subject:
Dome elements, first use of? (was Re: Ever notice this?)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.space
Date:
Mon, 3 Jan 2000 05:32:48 GMT

In lugnet.space, Patrick Leahy writes:
In lugnet.space, Lindsay Frederick Braun writes:

Z wrote:

Did anyone ever notice the similarity between Classic Space and Unitron?

Yes.  I swooned when the Unitron sets came out.  A return to classic
space colors!  If only they'd used transparent amber for the canopies
rather than blue.

Speaking of similarities, also notice that TLG has used the same molds over • and
over again, in addition to new molds [Lego pieces are injection molded, and
whoever makes the molds has to be extremely precise [micrometers off is too
far], and they won't throw such work away; they'll keep using it, or shelf it,
perhaps to use later].  I've seen proof of this.  For example, 6-stud long
wedge-looking viewports so common in Classic Space and Blacktron 1 are still
available in light blue. Also, I haven't seen or heard of any stopping of • TLG's
brick/plate designs.  I could go on and on, but here's the point: • Discontinued
Space subthemes isn't always the end of a part's production.  But, they may
stop using one color for the part, and use another color [big 1/4 domes are an
example of that; they have been made in many colors, ever since classic • space].
Just something to think about.

Minor nit - the large 1/4 domes weren't introduced with classic space -
they were first introduced with futuron and blacktron, if I correctly
recall.

No, I'm probably wrong about that, come to think of it.  It was
the octagonal corridor system that was introduced in the second year
of Blacktron, not the large dome system.  What WAS the first set
to use the large dome elements?

--

jthompson@esker.com  "Float on a river, forever and ever, Em