 Space / 673
Re: Where are the carriers?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.space
Date:
Sun, 5 Dec 1999 04:05:55 GMT

Z wrote:

Hello, people.  I'm the boy who wrote "Where are the carriers?" in the first
place.  I just wanted everyone to know about a new and effective building
method that solves many problems that are associated with massive
starships (battlecruisers, battleships, carriers, etc.) I have a fleet command
ship that uses this method.  How this method works is, you build a frame of
technic beams and pegs, put the ship's internal components inside the frame,
and cover the frame with plates.  Here's what I mean: ... [snip]

I originally envisioned Marathon in this manner, with a primary structure of
Technic beams and connectors.  The problem was too much dislocation of the plates;
I always wanted them to fit more tightly than they'd go without buckling under
tension strain.  A few of the side panels are plates over a substructure, but the
bulk had to be converted back to brick walls.  I may revisit it, though--I now
have enough Technic beams to do a large section this way.  I think it would have
to be mixed methods to be most effective, with good planning of stress points so
it could be lifted without crumpling.  I was just being impatient, I think.

best,

Lindsay