 Space / 6606
6605  |  6607
Subject:
Voyager Shuttlecraft MOC
Newsgroups:
lugnet.space
Date:
Fri, 2 Feb 2001 02:10:54 GMT

I just got back from a business trip to the Colonies-- expensive, sure,
but some things just can't be sent by shipping companies. People will tell
you they're pretty backward out there because they haven't built the
infrastructure yet to be normal citizens of the Galaxy, but they're getting
along quite well and getting everything in place-- in a few years, New
Plymouth, Tanfoora, or Nir may have industry to rival the best the Galaxy
has to offer. I brought back a pamphlet from New Plymouth Engineering so
you can see some of what they're up to out there on the Rim.

-----

Presenting Voyager, the shuttle you didn't think the Colonies could build!

New Plymouth Engineering's Voyager shuttle is now available in a civilian
model. Need an orbital shuttle with system-spanning capabilities? Voyager
is your shuttle!

Government agencies have used the AV-122 shuttle for over a decade in
worry-free service. This AV-122M hospital shuttle has been operating for
six years and is still going strong. It includes the more powerful
navigational sensor package on a "panel van" style body.

Nir Medical loves this shuttle for the same reasons you will. The Voyager
shuttle can carry enough reaction matter to push up to 1/4 c and slow back
down again on the other side. [0] When that's not fast enough, external
thruster pods turn the Voyager into a true long-haul intra-system shuttle:

The interior is quite configurable. The shuttle can safely haul 12 people,
operating on a crew of only one or two people! On longer trips, people
like more space; the 7-passenger configuration is shown here:

With all the seats removed, the shuttle becomes a small cargo hauler.

The Voyager shuttle is quite nimble as well, with sixteen reaction control
thrusters to get you wherever you need to go. And of course the Voyager has
a standard docking collar.

All of this for less than half the price of importing a similar ship from
the Core! Get yours, and experience the freedom of intrasystem travel today!

[0] Unloaded shuttle with robotic pilot only. Your RCS efficiency may vary.
New Plymouth suggests a maximum velocity of 1/8 c for any trip without
long-haul modules installed.

-----

At first glance, it looks like New Plymouth is doing some odd stuff with
their Voyager-- looking at the nagivational sensor dish on the front of
the civilian model, you'd think that this thing had monstrous sensor
capabilities; many ships from other companies have a much sleeker look
and the sensors aren't as prominent. The truth is that this is an example
of where the Colonies are behind the rest of the galaxy in manufacturing;
the sensor on the Voyager is on par with less obtrusive models built here.
The seemingly oversized RCS thrusters are similar; while they look big
enough to shove around a ship five times the size of a Voyager, they're
really only slightly more powerful than what a similar ship here in the
Core would have.

While I spent the whole time I was there on a space station orbitting
New Plymouth, I didn't get much time to sightsee. I'll try to get more
information on the capital ship shown in the brochure next time I'm out
there, I'm pretty sure it's not a Core design.

[Notes: I think I need to get a longer camera cable so I can do this
somewhere where I can set up a backdrop. Other pictures can be found
at:

]

-JDF
--
J.D. Forinash                                     ,-.
foxtrot@cc.gatech.edu                            ( <